The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 PM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about
Default Pike Fishing

I am going to be fishing for pike within a few months and need some help. What are good flies for pike (but will also work well for bass or the occasional walleye). Also what kind of leader (what strength).
Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pike Fishing

Clousers work for both fish and you can get some really big Pike to hit a Walleye size Clouser.
Click the image to open in full size.

As far as dedicated Pike flies, there is nothing in my opinion that works better than the Reynold's Pike Fly. I have modified it by adding the heart bead. It covers the only tooth vulnerable spot making it a nearly indestructable fly. I don't think color matters much with this fly. Pike blast it.
EP flies work pretty good as well. They don't stand up to the abuse a Reynold's Pike Fly will.
The Dahlberg Mega Diver is a good fly as well. You can tie them with a rabbit tail, as I guess Larry Dahlberg does these days.

For the leader, I start off by tying a Bimini twist in generally 20lb. line. I cut the end of the loop formed by the double line and lightly furl it. I then tie an overhand knot in the end just to keep it furled till I tie it in to the steel leader. To do that I take nylon coated steel and bend about an inch over and tie an Albright knot so that there is about 4 or 5 inches of the furled line.
Bimini Twist | How to tie the Bimini Twist | Fishing Knots
Albright Knot | How to tie the Albright Knot | Fishing Knots

I make that piece 39" long with the length of the steel and double line just shy of a foot after a knot for the fly. I then make the butt end of the leader by making a perfection loop and cut it off at 39"
Perfection (Angler's) Loop | How to tie the Perfection Loop | Fishing Knots

I then put in the mid section of the leader with a blood knot, then cut it off at 39" from the blood knot.
Blood Knot | How to tie a Blood Knot | Fishing Knots
Blood knot those pieces to the first piece you constructed. This makes you a 9' Pike leader.

To put the fly on you have a couple of options. You can crimp sleeve it. Crimp it if you use that. Don't rely on pressure to keep the fly on. You can use a knot called a twist melt. It's just what it sounds like. Put the end of the leader through the eye of the fly or a clip, then twist it for an inch and a half or so. I said use nylon coated, because this is the knot I use, you can take a lighter and melt the nylon. I have never had one come loose and I have used them a lot for years.
nick k and bigfishcatcher like this.