The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Runoff...good news/bad news

Gotta love spring... The rain we got a couple weeks back that helped remove all the snow in the area really re-arranged a couple streams that I've come to know and love... One stream there was one of those big cement cylinders that are used for culverts and such... was half buried and in the same spot ever since I fished this stretch(past 6 years or so)... And I found it bout 20' downstream from it's original spot.. re-buried.. creating a new riffle... One run was also widened by about 5'.... This is also a stretch that I never had been skunked on... And that day I was skunked on it... Didn't even spook a fish... I imagine they are still there obviously... But now I gotta find them again
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Runoff started overnight here in the Vail Valley this weekend. Went on a float trip on the upper Colorado river. From Radium down is blown out already. Gore Creek is starting to color up and pick up flow. The Eagle river seemed to double flow in a day and a half. AND THEN... I woke up to 6" of snow on the ground this morning. Mother nature is one confused lady this year. Bring on the high flow and ill start responding with deadly streamer attacks!!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

Right as soon as I say theres no runoff, the runnoff comes.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

HA! 10 degrees here this morning, I think the freeze paused the runoff... Stopped by at lunchtime, the water was still high, but running clear. Caught a dozen browns...

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

It was cold enough today that it was one of those days...walking along with my frozen net sticking straight out behind me.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

The cold weather definitely paused the runoff...Got to the stream at 8, still running a bit high, but gin clear. Cloudy with sun peeking in now and then, and flocks of swallows above the stream. BWO big time. I lost count of the dozens of fish I caught. They were keyed in on the dry, ignored any kind of dropper, until I left after lunch. Again, two memorable fish- one nice rainbow that took me downstream a bit, and one nice brown that couldn't disguise his sipping under a slack pool covered with foam.
It's warming up again, so the flows will increase again, and I've got a couple of weeks of no fishing- hand operation this morning, 10 days of "don't get it wet".