Runoff...good news/bad news

nickj

Reaction score
It looks like my little local stream is going to have a serious runoff this year. The flows today are 1 1/2 times what they were yesterday, it's just started. Last year the snowpack was so deficient, and there were no spring snows, that the river almost died when summer came. The flow meters didn't even register some days. I don't think we lost many trout, if any, and the river had a voluntary no fishing closure. So that's the good news-healthy stream, healthy trout. The bad news- it's really high, dirty, and full of junk. I managed to catch one fish today, where a week ago I caught probably 40 one day. Caught lots of sticks today, too. So it's going to be raging for a while, Mother Nature will probably blow out a beaver dam or two, and generally rearrange everything. I guess that's good news, too.

fishngolf16

Reaction score
I am not sure where you are but here in Colorado Springs, we are going to get into the mid 70s for two days then more spring snow and a low of 18. This Spring or should I say Winter is crazy this year. We may get some runoff in the next couple of days from the lower elevations but then back to snow and more snow pack. After that we are in the mid 50's or low 60s. I just hope summer comes in as scheduled.

nickj

Reaction score
I'm in Pine, Jeffco. 80's tomorrow, then snow, then warm.. There's a flow meter for this stream up on Mt Evans, the headwaters. I saw it go high yesterday, figured I'd see what I did today.. No, please don't tell me to go to Deckers....

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Well I'm not complaining, this spring snow is a welcome sight indeed. With the low snow pack over the winter I was really worried that we were in for another terrible fire season, but with the spring snows we are almost up to a normal snow pack. Yahoo! I can live through the runoff, it will great fishing this summer!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I liked that closing line Nick,

When I discovered Deckers and the little river from there up to the dam it was a lot different than the last time I drove up there. I'm thinking 1982 and there was no one there at the lower end. There were no parking lots and when you parked in the ditch and crossed the road there was a game trail that led around the end of the hill and then you made your way down to the water. The last time I was down was right after the Hayman Fire. I was amazed at the changes in the river bed pertaining to the silt and mineral deposits. it looked a good place to do some panning but I caught no fish. I did fish from the bridge down river because of the mob scene upriver...........

nickj

Reaction score
Ha! Deckers is laughable. The flows are really low now,... I drive through there once or twice a week on my way down to Colorado Springs. Last Friday there were 5 guys standing around one hole by the road, almost like fishing in a rain barrel. It looked like opening day back east. I'd rather fish for brookies in a tiny melt up in the mountains, or just go for a hike. It's not what trout fishing means to me.

fishngolf16

Reaction score
Nobody would tell you to go to Deckers. I do not even think anyone here is that cruel.

I spend the runoff with the kids on a couple of high mountain lakes with a fly and bubble set up. I may even take them up and do some Brookie fishing this year while the runoff keeps me off the Arkansas. I cannot wait to try out their new fly fishing gear.

williamhj

Reaction score
Took a walk on one of my favorite close to home creeks Saturday, it was flowing beautifully. Calling for more snow this week, compared to last year, hopefully better year for the rivers around here. Killed me not having a rod in hand.

norcoflyfisher

Reaction score
The runoff from those last two big snowstorms the last couple weeks have turned the Poudre rather funky colored as well. Last time I really fished it was in the canyon in some of the sketchiest terrain in the lower canyon. Every step you took was like trying to find the bottom step of the stairs in the dark.:eek:

itchmesir

Reaction score
Gotta love spring... The rain we got a couple weeks back that helped remove all the snow in the area really re-arranged a couple streams that I've come to know and love... One stream there was one of those big cement cylinders that are used for culverts and such... was half buried and in the same spot ever since I fished this stretch(past 6 years or so)... And I found it bout 20' downstream from it's original spot.. re-buried.. creating a new riffle... One run was also widened by about 5'.... This is also a stretch that I never had been skunked on... And that day I was skunked on it... Didn't even spook a fish... I imagine they are still there obviously... But now I gotta find them again

coloradocaddis970

Reaction score
Runoff started overnight here in the Vail Valley this weekend. Went on a float trip on the upper Colorado river. From Radium down is blown out already. Gore Creek is starting to color up and pick up flow. The Eagle river seemed to double flow in a day and a half. AND THEN... I woke up to 6" of snow on the ground this morning. Mother nature is one confused lady this year. Bring on the high flow and ill start responding with deadly streamer attacks!!

nickj

Reaction score
HA! 10 degrees here this morning, I think the freeze paused the runoff... Stopped by at lunchtime, the water was still high, but running clear. Caught a dozen browns...

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

It was cold enough today that it was one of those days...walking along with my frozen net sticking straight out behind me.

nickj

Reaction score
The cold weather definitely paused the runoff...Got to the stream at 8, still running a bit high, but gin clear. Cloudy with sun peeking in now and then, and flocks of swallows above the stream. BWO big time. I lost count of the dozens of fish I caught. They were keyed in on the dry, ignored any kind of dropper, until I left after lunch. Again, two memorable fish- one nice rainbow that took me downstream a bit, and one nice brown that couldn't disguise his sipping under a slack pool covered with foam.
It's warming up again, so the flows will increase again, and I've got a couple of weeks of no fishing- hand operation this morning, 10 days of "don't get it wet".