The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Liphookedau
  • 1 Post By dhaynes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 PM

flyfisherz will become famous soon enough
Default "Natural" Flies

I don’t know if anyone has thought of, discussed, or attempted this recently, but I decided that a new goal I have is to catch a trout on a fly made of only “natural” materials. By “natural” I mean leaves, bark, fine grass, etc. Basically, I'm trying to prove to myself that I could make a trout-catching-fly using only the abiotic natural materials present in the stream environment. I imagine it would be difficult due to the fact that trout can likely recognize that a leaf is inedible and a blade of grass is inedible, yet they may be tricked by a combination/pattern that looks like a natural fly or food source.

From my experience, I’ve found that small stream native brookies attempt to eat just about anything and everything that moves, so I’m fairly certain if I was able to a tie a “fly” that even somewhat resembled a food source, I could be successful. I may even attempt to make a wooden hook (I will most likely fail with that so I may have to use a regular hook), however, the rest of the fly would likely be tied with plant materials and I would substitute fine grass for thread. I could even use a spider’s web to wrap around part of the fly to hold it all together. I’d also imagine it would add a sparkle to the fly that could trigger a hit.

Of course, the durability of this type of “natural” fly would be less than or equal to one fish haha. I imagine a fly that may end up looking similar to, or at least acting similar to, a woolly bugger. It wouldn’t look pretty, but I think I could catch a brookie.

Has anyone ever attempted this before or has similar experience? Thoughts/Tips?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: "Natural" Flies

I have tied a lot of May Fly with Raffia, this is grass. You make extended bodies out of it but I still used chicken hackles to float them. The grass soaks up water and will not float long on its own...................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I like the idea myself and have thought before, of what materials may be suitable enough to survive the tying process. I would suggest inner barks of basswood, linden, elm, cedar, or evening primrose, nettles, willow. These trees and plant inner barks are tough and have some tensile strength. I am sure some of them would have some nice milky pale colors if you were to explore. Many fibers should be used after a little soak inn water to soften up the fibers. I would also suggest looking into those giant thistles that make the pretty purple flowers. In the fall they turn to fluffy seed bundles like when a dandelion goes to seed only much more durable. It is white and like stringy cotton. I can see it working good for wings, legs, and CDC emergers.

Here's a look at the thistle in flower Thistle do nicely! These purple plants will add dramatic beauty to any garden | Mail Online

Here it is when gone to seed Closeup Showing The Intricate Texture Of Thistle Seed Pods Royalty Free Stock Photo, Pictures, Images And Stock Photography. Image 1908356.

Look for durability and tensile strength when trying to gather materials from the wild. I may try to jump in with my own pattern if I can find some suitable materials.

Good luck and keep us posted. Fun project.

Last edited by noreaster; 05-01-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:06 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I remember in one of The Books in my collection where someone wound Thistle Down on a Hook & made The Wings from Leaves.
Not so long ago in one of our Fly Swaps one of The guys made/Tied a Fly called The Bean Beetle I'm sure it was from a Coffee Bean which The early Fisherman made/Tied their Flies out of.
Brian.
noreaster likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:28 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
I remember in one of The Books in my collection where someone wound Thistle Down on a Hook & made The Wings from Leaves.
Not so long ago in one of our Fly Swaps one of The guys made/Tied a Fly called The Bean Beetle I'm sure it was from a Coffee Bean which The early Fisherman made/Tied their Flies out of.
Brian.
How do the trout like their coffee ? Dark roast or medium roast? Black or double double? Oddly the coffee bean would give off an aroma, I wonder what the trout would think?

I would say the half shell of a pistachio nut would make a good start for a beetle pattern. certainly hard enough.
Get cracken'
Old 05-01-2013, 06:40 AM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough

Don't want to sound overly fastidious, but the items you mention are not "abiotic natural materials" but are very much biotic... Abiotic refers to temperature, climate etc... things external to the biotic system... but still effect ecosystems. Feathers would still be natural products as would hair... Cotton thread -- highly processed -- might be a gray area. "Natural materials" would still include a huge range of materials but would eliminate synthetics like chenille and tinsel.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

"Tap" Tapply, who for many years wrote the "Tap's Tips" column in Field & Stream had a fly that used milkweed seed pod fibers as the underwing.
The stuff has a bright sheen like polarbear hair and of course is free

Click the image to open in full size.
noreaster likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

From the Autumn/Winter 1996 issue of Fly Tyer

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels and noreaster like this.