The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Special Consideration? Rig For Wife?

Not to put you in a pickle here but I don't really think the 4wt would be any harder than the 5wt, especially if you don't use larger flies. And even if it is harder, she will eventually get the hang of it and enjoy it more. This could just be my personal opinion though. What you guys think?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Having a wife who enjoys fishing is good. However, I would ask her if she wants a fly fishing outfit rather than to surprise her with one. I'm married and Nancy has been fishing since she was a kid. She came here in 1989 and took up heavier rods and salmon fishing. All of this experience was with spinning equipment but I decided to change that in 2006. I bought her a fly fishing rig at her birthday in 06, she seemed pleased until the next spring when I expected her to use it................

She tried and even caught a few salmon but we both knew that she would be happier with her spinning outfit. So....... I did the smart thing, I bought her a new Ugly Stix and a Shimano Spirex 4000 reel with the trigger and rear mount fighting drag.

Now this was Popular! She had never had a good reel and she loves this set up. I knew the reels because I used one for Bass back in the Susquehanna tossing shiners on a noodle rod. The result is pure bliss; she wants to go, I keep her stocked with lures I find on float trips and we have a ball. Every so often she will be the big catcher and out do me 2 X over or more.

A happy fisher girl
Click the image to open in full size.
Do these waders make my butt look big?
mcnerney, fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
IMHO and have been married for 33 years, go with her and let her pick out what she would like, don’t decide for her, you’ll thank me later.

Rick
I was going to suggest getting one of those fancy pink fly rods that Sage is now offering, but Oarfish is SO RIGHT! Let her pick something out.....she/you will be much happier in the long run!
Grace- Specialty Fly Rods | Sage Fly Fishing

Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
No, you are exactly right.

In fact, I would NOT even buy an outfit at this time.

I would take her out fly fishing and let her use your outfit. You should be the gillie. You should not be fishing but teaching her how to fish.

Often times buying a SO a fly fishing outfit is also a chance to get a second outfit for ourselves that is different that what we have. So we want to go lighter or shorter. If we are honest, that may be good for ourselves, but is it really what is best for our SO?
Couldn't agree with you more on that one. I learned the hard way that taking a girlfriend (now wife) out fishing while fishing yourself will just lead you to be trying to communicate over the sounds of the river that she's casting wrong/snapped the fly off/in a tangle/for-the-love-of-God stop casting that's a big enough tangle/fly is dragging all while you are trying to play a fish. THAT is not fun for her.

Playing guide a few times isn't all that bad and you get a chance to see the river/lake in a whole new light too.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 AM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road

I didn't think I'd play guide to her. I'm still in my 2nd caddis hatch, however (big however) I am the type of person that will watch a Youtube video 5 times then go outside to practice. I learned my roll cast this winter on a snow-covered street. She will NOT be practicing outside when it's 20 degrees outside hahaha.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:01 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Special Consideration? Rig For Wife?

SeeIous Death wish? Ard, Ard, Ard: "Do these waders make my butt look big?"

There are places men do not go ... and you just jumped across the line.

Please let us know the time/place of the last internment. That assumes she hasn't strapped concrete blocks around your feet and tossed you into a deep hole in the river ... probably, would be my guess.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:59 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Having a wife who enjoys fishing is good. However, I would ask her if she wants a fly fishing outfit rather than to surprise her with one. I'm married and Nancy has been fishing since she was a kid. She came here in 1989 and took up heavier rods and salmon fishing. All of this experience was with spinning equipment but I decided to change that in 2006. I bought her a fly fishing rig at her birthday in 06, she seemed pleased until the next spring when I expected her to use it................

She tried and even caught a few salmon but we both knew that she would be happier with her spinning outfit. So....... I did the smart thing, I bought her a new Ugly Stix and a Shimano Spirex 4000 reel with the trigger and rear mount fighting drag.

Now this was Popular! She had never had a good reel and she loves this set up. I knew the reels because I used one for Bass back in the Susquehanna tossing shiners on a noodle rod. The result is pure bliss; she wants to go, I keep her stocked with lures I find on float trips and we have a ball. Every so often she will be the big catcher and out do me 2 X over or more.

A happy fisher girl
Click the image to open in full size.
Do these waders make my butt look big?
You're more of a man than I.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

...... Do these waders make my butt look big?[/CENTER]
Those are dark, uncharted waters you're venturing into there.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by long bow View Post
Couldn't agree with you more on that one. I learned the hard way that taking a girlfriend (now wife) out fishing while fishing yourself will just lead you to be trying to communicate over the sounds of the river that she's casting wrong/snapped the fly off/in a tangle/for-the-love-of-God stop casting that's a big enough tangle/fly is dragging all while you are trying to play a fish. THAT is not fun for her.

Playing guide a few times isn't all that bad and you get a chance to see the river/lake in a whole new light too.
I'm a firm believer in NOT trying to teach your wife or girlfriend how to fly fish or fly cast. The probability of it all going horribly wrong is much greater than it going right. The act of teaching someone you are close to how to do something has a tendency to bring out all the worst elements in each of you and to create new antagonisms... Don't do it unless you want to learn firsthand just how comfortable the couch is! I would strongly recommend finding a third party -- fly shop lessons, another guide, or something -- to do the teaching and then settle in and enjoy fishing together. Just my $.02 worth but based on both experience and observation....
rccola712 likes this.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 AM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Dhaynes: to quote the legendary Ron Burgendy; "Agree to disagree." Id say if in a relationship when one is helping the other; wouldn't that strengthen the bond?

After reading the OP's later posts I'm getting the idea he's new to fishing as well (polarbearco welcome to a great sport!) and in that sense your approach is better.

I'm just coming from the experience (personal and observation) that a lot of guys who try fish and bring SOs to fish as well, that gets a little tough and someone ends up sitting on the bank. I know you didn't mean it this way but not all of us can afford a guide or a set of casting lessons. I guess my angle came in from the already fishing type of guys trying to get their SOs involved.