The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road
Default Special Consideration? Rig For Wife?

Mother's Day is coming up. Last weekend, I wore my "Father's Day" boots and waders. My wife has already bought a new purse for "Mother's Day." I'm thinking about surprising her with another gift... a fly rig.

Are there any considerations I need to think of for her rig? I have a 9' 5wt. The rod is a St Croix Imperian from Dick's with a Lamson Konic reel. I'm still in my first twelve months of fly fishing so the rod is good enough for now. I LOVE THE REEL.

We go fishing at least 30 times a year, and she and my son will baitcast lures while I'm on a fly. My wife has started tying some of my flies on her rod. I don't think she's had luck with one yet. My 9yo son caught a 15 1/2" rainbow on the Arkansas in Colorado casting a lure downstream last weekend... hahaha...

Anyway, I was thinking about getting the wife a short 4wt rig. With the average woman being shorter than the average man and having less arm strength, is shorter better? longer? Higher weight rod? Lower? She has only been fly fishing once. We caught the salmon fly hatch drifting the Madison last summer. She loved it and was very successful.

FYI - We fish Colorado alpine lakes and the major rivers. The fish in the lakes are aggressive risers and we don't generally need to cast much distance. The Arkansas is a different animal, of course.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Special Consideration? Rig For Wife?

I won't pretend to be an expert here but I don't believe you should factor in her specific height or strength (unless she was extremely short or weak). The average person (man or woman) should be able to efficiently use almost all rod weights for a full day if they have decent casting technique.

When considering the rod (or more precisely line) weight and rod length, I would spend more time thinking about your fishing situations. If you tend to do mostly nymphing, a longer rod may be best. If you fish small creeks where overhead room and general casting room is an issue, a shorter rod may be best. Are you targeting larger fish or smaller ones? What size flies are you using?

These are the types of questions you should use to determine her outfit, and I don't believe her physical attributes should play into your selection unless they are extreme.

But like I said, I'm no expert, so maybe the next person will tell me I'm all wrong.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:13 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

My wife fishes primarily with a 8'6", 5wt, St. Croix Rio Santo setup we bought as a kit (rod, reel, line, case). She likes it a great deal. Rio Santo has a very smooth relaxed cast that she finds preferable to my faster TFO and Winston rods...
Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Allen had the full Compass rod series package a little while ago at a great price. I'm sure if you emailed them they could hook you up with the same setup, probably even at the same price. Make sure to mention you're a forum member.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I won't pretend to be an expert here but I don't believe you should factor in her specific height or strength (unless she was extremely short or weak). The average person (man or woman) should be able to efficiently use almost all rod weights for a full day if they have decent casting technique.

When considering the rod (or more precisely line) weight and rod length, I would spend more time thinking about your fishing situations. If you tend to do mostly nymphing, a longer rod may be best. If you fish small creeks where overhead room and general casting room is an issue, a shorter rod may be best. Are you targeting larger fish or smaller ones? What size flies are you using?

These are the types of questions you should use to determine her outfit, and I don't believe her physical attributes should play into your selection unless they are extreme.

But like I said, I'm no expert, so maybe the next person will tell me I'm all wrong.
You are so wrong.

Just kidding. Good advice given.

Dennis
nick k likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

IMHO and have been married for 33 years, go with her and let her pick out what she would like, don’t decide for her, you’ll thank me later.

Rick
mcnerney, fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post

No, you are exactly right.

In fact, I would NOT even buy an outfit at this time.

I would take her out fly fishing and let her use your outfit. You should be the gillie. You should not be fishing but teaching her how to fish.

Often times buying a SO a fly fishing outfit is also a chance to get a second outfit for ourselves that is different that what we have. So we want to go lighter or shorter. If we are honest, that may be good for ourselves, but is it really what is best for our SO?
mcnerney likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
IMHO and have been married for 33 years, go with her and let her pick out what she would like, don’t decide for her, you’ll thank me later.

Rick

SOOOOO YES!

Just my .02 cents.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

My wife goes fishing with me, but doesn't have much interest in actually fishing. She'll sunbathe and read a magazine. Perfectly fine with me. I don't want her to be better than me!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
My wife goes fishing with me, but doesn't have much interest in actually fishing. She'll sunbathe and read a magazine. Perfectly fine with me. I don't want her to be better than me!
LOL. Mine will start cleaning the fish before I get the fly out of its mouth.

I just got back from Bass Pro and they told me that a 4wt would actually be harder to learn on. I'll probably grab her a 5wt. I'd rather surprise her with a rig that we can return/exchange if she wants something different than just taking her to pick something out. Maybe I should just figure out if our favorite alpine lake is ice out or not and just take her up for a day of fishing on Mother's Day and maybe hit up dinner on the way back into town.

Thanks guys for all the suggestion. You're all spot on.