The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 01:51 PM

akgrant is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for a good place to fish in Minnesota may 17-19

Extended weather forecast is looking good, just wondering if the water level will be too high when I get there
Old 05-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty140 View Post
At the rate this "spring" is going for us in MN, you may want to try ice fishing instead of fly fishing...
I would bet dollars to donuts that you will be able to ice fish my lake on opener. They are predicting ice on the lakes hours South and many degrees warmer than here. Snowed here yesterday for a bit. Nothing stuck, but it should not be snowing. Must be the warmest Spring on record.

The ice went off of the Little Fork River Yesterday sending the water up 2 or 3 feet in the Rainy River. There was a ton of Ice bergs and trees coming down the river. The Big Fork will probably let loose today or tomorrow, repeating the mess.

The ice just went out of my bay the last couple of days where I fish Smallies a lot. They are normally in here by this time. Tried yesterday for a bit, but I new it was more casting practice than fishing. Not a danged fish in there.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Spring was cancelled this year in MN. The entire state is under a mental health alert. But if it ever warms up, those trout will sure be hungry.
Now thats funny right there! And fairly accurate as well. Hopefully this is the last of it. I dont mind the spring rains, but all this snow and freezing rain really makes for a tough May!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Better try Wisconsin; best bet. But unless warm weather arrives soon, and unless the river levels drop, it'll be tough to find a productive stream.

I fished up there a couple of years ago. I arrived to find the state of Minnesota shut down; not due to cold, but politics. Every state office was closed, so I couldn't buy a fishing license, even on the web.
So I drove 130 miles to Iowa, and fished (and made my $$$ donations) in their state.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 AM

Ya it looks like I'm going to be fishing the kinni in wisconsin now anyway, its closer than any of the places that were suggested to me in MN.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgrant View Post
Ya it looks like I'm going to be fishing the kinni in wisconsin now anyway, its closer than any of the places that were suggested to me in MN.
Great. You might search for (and call) local fly shops to check on water levels before you commit to an area.

And be sure to return and post photos for those of us here at home!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:51 PM

It will be hard to get good pics, since I'm fishing by myself now, but I will do my best.
Good idea on the fly shops. I'm there for work and have a whole weekend to kill with nothing else to do so I will be fishing, even if its basically pointless, but it would be good to know what I'm getting into!