The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 PM

akgrant is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a good place to fish in Minnesota may 17-19

I will be traveling to minneapolis for work and have the weekend of may 17-19 to fish. Anyone out there have some knowledge of a good place within 50-100mi of there for trout/salmon that time of year?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 PM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for a good place to fish in Minnesota may 17-19

Root river could be worth a shot.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Otherwise you could try the wichunu river lol!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

At the rate this "spring" is going for us in MN, you may want to try ice fishing instead of fly fishing...
A couple of trout rivers fairly close to the Twin Cities are the Rush and Kinnikenic (might have spelled that wrong... Kinni is easier) over in western WI. They are both very nice streams and have fairly good public access.
The Driftless area in SE MN is great fun and there is also quite a bit of public access down there. Check out the trout section of the MN DNR website - there are maps online that show all the designated trout streams, where there are DNR easements for public fishing on private land, where there is public land, etc. A few of the better known streams are the Whitewater and Root River systems, both of which are a lot of fun.
As mentioned, the Brule in NE WI is great too. There are two fly shops in our area here - the Superior Fly Angler in Superior, WI and the Great Lakes Fly Co in Duluth. They can help you out if you want to try for steelhead on the Brule. (but it might be a little late by then??)
Hopefully it will stop snowing by the time you're here!
Ryan
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 PM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road

Just kidding about that 2nd river. Not sure how fly fishable the vermillion is but that would be another one that is close to the cities. Sorry I am not much of a help. Will be up on the brule for the next couple weekends, i will let you know if there are still steelhead in. It has been a wierd year up there because of the ice at the mouth going out and coming back in.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Being in the Twin Cities area you will find closer water going over to Wisconsin and fishing the Brule or Kinni...

I'd suggest Whitewater area down here in SE MN... But I heard it got pretty messed up during the rain/thaw we had... I know the main river left it's banks and flooded the road... Streams can quickly change down here in the driftless so I cannot comment on the current fishing conditions of the area as I've been too busy to go check it out...

Also here is the link to the Trout Maps for Minnesota to give you options...

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/t...ams/index.html

Hay is a really good creek from what I've been told... Being south of the cities.. I have no reason to drive that far north
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

Kinnikinnic over in Wisconsin is the best nearby trout water, as others have mentioned. There are a bunch of good brookie streams over around there also.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM

alligator is on a distinguished road

Spring was cancelled this year in MN. The entire state is under a mental health alert. But if it ever warms up, those trout will sure be hungry.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:29 PM

Well it has two weeks for spring to show up before I'm there, so I'm hoping I will be just in time! Thanks for all the info guys. I had been looking at the root river system, but the kinni sounds interesting. Whats the main draw there? I'm expecting everything around there is mostly rainbows and browns correct?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM

mn steelheader will become famous soon enough

more brookies and browns in the Kinni. Same with the root I believe. the upper kinni has 3-5k fish per mile. You'll catch a lot on light tackle, in the 10-14" range. Some larger fish are in there too.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM

steelheader, sent you a pm

My fishing buddy backed out, just realized it was his babys first bday! young dad, oops. so... anyone in MN or WI wanna go fishing that weekend? Local knowledge is always good! Will fish on my own, but figured I'd check