The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By oarfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Bass taper fly line ?

Any of you bass fishermen fish a bass taper line like Rio sells ? I'm gearing up a 6wt for small mouth and small lake fishing, ,,so,,, what benefits does a bass taper give you that a standard wf-f might not ? Do they toss bigger bugs better ? Turn over good ?
any other thoughts on a 'bass taper ? any negative opinions on a bass taper ? I'd just like to know before I toss out a handful of good money for one. Good fly line is a tad expensive for me to buy one blindly.

I'd put this under fly lines but it wasn't getting many looks,,so I thought I'd put it here. If this is inappropriate , please just deleted this one.

THanks ahead of time

Michael
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bass taper fly line ?

Mike, parts of it is just 'we need to sell something,' most of it is actual 'what works and why?' Most Bass Bugs are heavy (I'll let you define that term) and bulky/wind resistant so you need 'mass/grains' to chuck the thing.

A specific line ... for a specific time.
turbineblade and brucerducer like this.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Fred,,do you think investing in a bass taper line for a bass rig would be worth it ? I know everyone's gonna vary on 'worth it'..but I know some lines work better for certain situations. I just wanna figure that I'm 'bettering' my bass fishing by a decent degree if I do this.

Thank you
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Mike, parts of it is just 'we need to sell something,' most of it is actual 'what works and why?' Most Bass Bugs are heavy (I'll let you define that term) and bulky/wind resistant so you need 'mass/grains' to chuck the thing.

A specific line ... for a specific time.
I'm part of this school of thought. Sometimes you just need more line mass to chuck those big nasties. On my fast eight weight, I use a floating line that has a 315 grain head (roughly 10 weight).

Dennis

Edit: If you want a fly line for big nasties, do some research on Rio's Outbound Short.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

I tried using just a trout WF line to toss my bass poppers and it was dismal, so I bought other top name lines for bass and they were also dismal until I picked up a Rio Freshwater Out Bound Short, you would be happy with that line. Yea it’s pricy and it’s worth the bucks, works great. I will add that the lightest rod I use for that fish is a 7, good luck, lock & load.

Rick

P.S. I agree with Dennis and Fred.
brucerducer likes this.

Last edited by oarfish; 05-02-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Fred,,do you think investing in a bass taper line for a bass rig would be worth it ? I know everyone's gonna vary on 'worth it'..but I know some lines work better for certain situations. I just wanna figure that I'm 'bettering' my bass fishing by a decent degree if I do this.

Thank you
In a word: "Yes." Horses for Courses as the Brit's would say.

Some very good suggestions on 'what' above. These folks have forgotten more than I know.

Fred
Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 PM

The Outbound Short reads like it's the stuff. I'll certainly be considering this one very seriously.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Good advice already -- I was just going to add that I personally despise extreme weight-forward, bass-taper lines. They basically function like a shooting head -- in order to pick up line for a long cast you have to strip in a crapload of line, often use a massive haul to handle that heavy head with the thinner running line, and they SUCK at roll casting. I start to really dislike them when I'm casting beyond 60-70' -- I prefer a heavier running line to manage line in the air rather than just hauling like crazy and "dumping" the line, letting it shoot all over the place without too much regard for presentation.

I personally am getting to prefer a DT line with the front taper shortened so that it turns over with more force. I can pick up long lines and roll cast all day long, which I use quite a lot around here on the Potomac.

A regular WF line works fine too -- I mainly just object to the bass taper lines. Just personal preference. With a good double haul and decent line mass to carry the big flies, you can work with any of the common line tapers and probably do well. And if you only cast shorter distances like <40' it probably makes little difference, and I could see that a bass line might be suited to that job.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:04 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The bass taper lines definitly do help with hucking the bigger less air-resistant flies. However, you have to look at the taper graphs in the catclogs. The Rio Outbound II is actually a more aggresive taper then the smallmouth taper. When we talked to the Rio guy on the phone I was looking for their bass taper line they package with the Sage rods, and he said that essentially the Outbound II is the same stuff. I bought the line and let me tell you, that 6wt throws some really big stuff way easier then my friend's 6wt with a standard WF on it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher