The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 PM

michaeldnparkin is on a distinguished road
Default New to fly fishing

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right area to post this, but I'm new to fly fishing and was hoping to pick some of your brains. I have always wanted to get into fly fishing, but I've always been a little intimidated by the sport. However, I have an opportunity to purchase what I think is a really nice rod and reel to get started. My friends dad won a Sage VXP 9' 6WT and a Sage 4250 reel, that he's willing to sell me for $250.00 total. I think it's a really good deal, but wanted to get opinions. Also if you could give me some insight into some gear that I need to start with and gear that I must have, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike
Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: New to fly fishing

Let me be the does to ask the obvious:

What are you fishing for?
How big are the fish you're fishing for?
What type of water will you be fishing in?
What part of the country are you in?
What size flies will you be using?
What types of flies will you be using?
How often do you plan on fishing?
What gear, if any, do you currently have?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 PM

I'll be fishing mostly for trout in small/medium streams and rivers. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and will be fishing locally and in Idaho, Oregon and Washington. I'm not really sure about fly types because I'm new to the sport, but I'm open to suggestions. I plan on fishing quite frequently, probably weekly, especially in the summer. The only gear I have so far are boots and the reel and rod that are listed in my previous post. Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

If that rod/reel combo is in good shape, that's a great deal and would be just about perfect for your situation. You'll be happy with it and it will likely suit 95% of your needs for many years to come. Does it come with a warranty?

Having said that, $250 can buy you a heck of a good new rod and reel. A new 4-6wt Echo or Redington would be another great choice and would come with a warranty, which you might need as a new fly caster. For even less money, you could get a good beginner combo from Cabela's for under $100.

So there are other options out there, don't feel pressured to buy this from your acquaintance.

Personally, if that Sage combo has a warranty, I'd go with the Sage.

As far as other equipment, I would just encourage you to go to Fishwest and hang out and talk to the folks there. They can give you an idea of some basic gear. Honestly, there is so much junk out there that you don't need, but you really have to find your own style.

Fundamentally, you'll need:
Flies (lots of them)
Leaders and Tippet (I make my own knotted leaders or prefer 7.5' 4x tapered)
Floatant
Some weight system (I prefer "LED")
Some strike indication system (I prefer thingamobobbers or poly yarn from Walmart)
Fly line
Backing
Nippers
Forceps
Polarized glasses
Waders
Some sort of storage system (vest, lanyard, chestpack, waistpack)

There's probably some stuff I'm forgetting. Good luck!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM

Thanks Aggieoutlaw! The rod and reel both are brand new and both come with a warranty, so I guess I'll lean toward that. Sounds like I'll have to go to the store and just get some tips from them. Anyone else have any recommendations, suggestions or advice? I'm open to anything. Like I said I'm brand new to fly fishing and am really just looking for a place to start. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Check to see if there is a fly fishing club in your area, maybe a Trout Unlimited Chapter or Fly Fishing Federation, try to find someone local to mentor you. Check with your local fly shops. If nothing else I would purchase a fly casting lesson from the local fly shop and maybe a half day guided fly fishing trip, you will be amazed at how much you learn. Get to know the guys at your local fly shop, they can help with what is happening on your local rivers. This site has lots of great information, spend sometime browsing, using the search function (look for the advanced search button) and ask questions, we will do our best to help you out. Take a look at YouTube, you will be amazed at all the fly fishing information it has to offer.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 PM

Thanks for your reply mcnerney! In two weeks I'm going out with a guide and hopefully that will teach me quite a bit. I appreciate your insight and will definitely take it into account. Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldnparkin View Post
Thanks for your reply mcnerney! In two weeks I'm going out with a guide and hopefully that will teach me quite a bit. I appreciate your insight and will definitely take it into account. Thanks again@
Smart move on your part! Tell the guide that you are a newby and want to learn, don't get focused in on catching, focus on what he is teaching, and ask questions, the catching will come in time, but the important thing is to grasp as much knowledge as you can from him.
jpbfly and yonder like this.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

If you are fishing small/medium streams for trout primarily, I'd say that a 6wt is a bit on the heavy side. I would suggest no higher than a 5wt. Now I know that's only 1 away from the 6 so maybe the great deal you're getting makes it worth it. If it were me, I'd go with a 4wt, unless you plan on targeting bass or other heavier fish as well.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Mike:

Welcome. that's a really nice deal for a purchase.

Feel free to ask any question you like. All questions are okay with us.