The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Bully's bluegill spider tactics

I tied up a few of these and plan on trying them out tomorrow on a farm pond that has always been full of gills. I've never fished a bully's before. I planned on using my 4 wt CT and sinking line, but figured I'd see how everyone else fishes them to maybe pick up some ideas. Comments?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:27 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bully's bluegill spider tactics

I've never fished a bully's in particular but bluegills are inquisitive little devils and I tend to fish most of my bluegill flies the same. I'd say let it sink a bit, give it a few (maybe 3 or 4) steady or erratic strips, then let it sit for a few seconds before doing it again.

Many times the bluegills will see it sinking, the strips will draw it in but they are lazy so they wont hit it, then when you stop stripping they go for the strike.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Nick,

One of the things that I'm really debating is to use floating line with an indicator or not. Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:01 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I thought about telling you that a sinking line isn't necessary in my last response. I guess it depends how deep the water is. I wouldn't even use an indicator. If you're fishing in less than 10ft, I'd say just use a floating line and keep an eye on the end of the line to spot strikes. Bluegills don't spit out too many flies. They will grab it and go. Many times I don't realize I've got a fish on for about 6 seconds.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

You can use a float indicator for the 'visual' fun of it but you dont really need to.. A gill isn't a trout,,they grab it they keep ahold of it....as Nick said, just watch for ya line to shoot out across the water or the tip do dive.

You get most strikes on the pause,,and heres a trick,,,if you fishing were you can see them watch how this works,,,pause,,watch one rise to get it and pause,,he might sit there till another rises to check it out ,,then the first one will grab it. Greed LOL..so when you 'cant' see them,,pause on your strips about five seconds at least.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I'll let you in on a few killer secrets to fishing a bully. Take 'em or leave 'em but all I can tell you is I've had easy 50 fish days this way.

First and foremost, find which color legs your eyes detect best in the water and tie them up with that color legs. Leg color isn't for the fish the way I found successful, it's for the angler to detect takes. Bluegill ain't picky.

Using a floating line and rather long leader toss the bully out not to far from you and watch it. When the legs disappear set the hook. It's either a fish, a weed or the bully sunk out of sight so pick it up and do it again. Those legs doing their slow dance while slowly sinking seem to drive the gills nuts. In mid summer when the gills have gone real deep in the summer it gets tougher fishing this way unless you're in an area that gets two or three spawns a year!

Tie them as recommended by the Wilsons. A little lead goes a long, long way.

Strong medicine them bullys... strong medicine.