The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By r reese

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Filson strap vest

I have been full circle, tried them all. Bags ,chest,hip and any other vest or pack out and have gone back to my Filson strap vest. The dry finish one is what i use and love it. they look and get better with age and will carry all u need.As fly fisherman and women we are always buying and trying new things but have finally found the best vest for me.( Who else uses filson strap vest?)
mbchilton likes this.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filson strap vest

I use the Filson Foul Weather vest and enjoy it, doesn't allow room to bring the kitchen sink, is comfortable and wears like iron. Your are right when saying they get better looking with age but I do need to buy the wax and give it a fresh coat.

Dave
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

I bought the Foul Weather Strap Vest last fall. I do enjoy it, but I recently purchased the Orvis Sling Pack. I'm still relatively early in my fly fishing career, so I haven't figured out which I like more. What I don't like about the Filson vest is how difficult is is to take on and off. That said, I know it will last forever and take a beating. There's a reason Filson has been around all these years. It's one of my favorite brands, and any given day I'm probably wearing something they make.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I took a long look at those last year. I was using a patagonia vest I bought many years ago and decided it was time for retirement. Spouse bought me one of those chest packs from fishpond but I didn't like it because it only held one or two boxes in front. I ended up with the filson guide vest and love it. Has enough room to hold four boxes plus other stuff and like all filson items it is indestructible. I would still like to get the strap vest for spring creeks I fish Jan - April where I only carry one box of flies.

Last edited by coug; 05-04-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree with MB Chilton that the strap vest is an acquired talent when it comes to getting it on - off, but if you are carrying more than what can be fit into jacket pockets they are handy. I've been owning - using one for 20 years and am used to it now. They have a certain appeal with how they take on the look of an ancient artifact over the years as you use them. They are handy, when I use mine I fill it with things I really don't need but the back pack is very cool for carrying a little thermos and some lunch. They are tough to re-coat with the wax finish but it makes a good winter project, and yes they smell funny.

Here's a picture of mine in action almost a decade ago on a very wet day. When I look at it now I see that I was 'Filson'ed out' that day, cap - jacket - and Foul Weather Strap Vest The fish didn't fit my old net but it did help a little.
Click the image to open in full size.

It is a Dolly Varden Char, and it got caught on Ard's Nine Three, the fancy one. I thought it was a salmon until I got it to where I could see it.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I love my Filson Foul Weather Vest. It holds everything but the kitchen sink