The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 11:51 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Evolution of an Angler

I just added this video to the library but in case anyone missed it I'll include it here. It's interesting but could it be the beginning of the end of the sport we love? Political correctness gone too far or personal decision that affects noone else? Love to hear your opinions.

fysh and Liphookedau like this.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Evolution of an Angler

Not the first time I've heard of this. I believe there was a magazine article several years back about John Bett's (not sure) & "evolving" to fishing without a hook.

To each his own. I'll use hooks until the day I die if I'm still able.
ontheflyguide likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

whatever floats your boat
Old 05-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Had not seen this video....Thanks for sharingI understand her point of view in some way...for me landing a fish is not the most important thing...deluding the fish is
Old 05-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Fishing becomes something different to each and every one of us, to some it's the ol' "Tug is the drug"addage, to others it's numbers or size of fish, and yet for some others, it's just the experience of being one with nature.

I can appreciate her stance, she certainly has nothing to prove to anyone or herself. Having such a life changing illness has made her look deep inside her soul for her source of happiness and for what drives her to keep fighting.
Hardyreels likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-05-2013, 04:49 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

While I do not know what she has gone through, or her struggles. It sounded to me that she just got caught up in the race to be the best. The greatest. It sounds more like she forgot who she was and why she enjoyed fishing. And her way of reclaiming herself may just well be through this hookless fishing.

Just my opinion but it seems she went looking for an answer to me...that did not even have a question. But that just may be me.

In the end...it is all still throwing a line.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I can understand where she's coming from completely. The take is the drug for me. That I find very satisfying because I know that I fooled that pea-brained fish with good line control and a phony fly that matched the real flies enough to warrant a rise and a take. Mission accomplished.
I haven't reached the point she is at where I fish hookless but I can't eliminate the posibilities, especially when dry fly fishing all by my lonesome.
After a few very close calls with death in the past 12 years I can say with certainty it does give a different perspective of things.
Hardyreels and fysh like this.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

To each his own. Looked more like a cosmo ad than a fishing vid. Feel bad for her illness but dont understand her solution. Only she can figure that out
and maybe then she will be at peace with herself. Im keeping my hooks she can do as she feels fit.Interesting story but not life changing for me!Wish her the best.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

The way I look at it She had caught ALL She really wanted to & then probably realised she had done what she set out to do & the Challenge sadly wasn't still there & after The Illness felt like moving onto something else????.

A Friend who is older than I who was also a very keen Fisherman of whom I first new of when I was a Teenager told me which was also very sad to hear gave all his Fly Fishing Gear away last year because he can no longer walk & Fish.
Brian.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
A Friend who is older than I who was also a very keen Fisherman of whom I first new of when I was a Teenager told me which was also very sad to hear gave all his Fly Fishing Gear away last year because he can no longer walk & Fish.
That's a shame...I have a set of friends (they were my mentors, if you will) from my work years who will all be in this situation some day. (as will we all ) and I'm committed to keeping those guys together on the water as long as I can...even if they can only make a few casts/day they can still tell the stories, lies, jokes and bs from being buddies for decades.
fysh likes this.