The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 03:42 PM

wlai is on a distinguished road
Default Nail knot for tippet?

I had the idea that the nail knot may be neater than the usual double surgeon's knot that I use for leader-tippet, but I can't for the life of me tie one that doesn't slip. I've tried mono-to-mono, and mono-to-flourocarbon and neither worked. My nail knot for backing to fly line never has slippages.

Is this not the right use of a nail knot? Do everyone just use double surgeon for this connection?

Curious,

Will
Old 05-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nail knot for tippet?

Why don't you just use a blood knot? They are neat, pretty danged close to a 100% strength knot. Better than either of the knots you mentioned.
jaybo41 and djamtime like this.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I do it all the time for butt sections to fly lines. 'Error' is trying to tie the thing too close to the end of the fly line and not having enough Mono coming out the back of the knot so you've really got something to hold on too.** Move the knot back at least 1 to 1.5 inches. Clamp down on that knot and get it as tight as you can.

Pull again! Once more!

If the knots 'loose' it will strip off the line coating.

Nip off the extra bit of fly line/mono BUT NOT 100% flush; leave a tiny bit.

From that point forward (this is an over kill answer to a simple question) triple surgeons for everything else.

** If you do get the mono too short just clamp on the thing with forceps.

Last edited by fredaevans; 05-05-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: As a line.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:20 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

if you're attaching tippet to leader with a nail knot, you need to tie two of them....one against the other.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
if you're attaching tippet to leader with a nail knot, you need to tie two of them....one against the other.
Agree, which is why I 'don't go there.' With heavy material this is pretty simple, but as you drop down in 'test' it becomes a pain where one sits.

Fred
Old 05-05-2013, 04:36 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Doing a nail-to-nail splice to attach tippet to leader is a hassle....and I hate nail knots, period, for any purpose . They're kind of like a butt joint in construction. And yes, I've used them and done "okay" for the most part -- but they aren't smooth and they aren't as strong as a whipped loop.

Learn to whip a loop -- I just taught myself to do it last week and I'm amazed at how smooth, convenient, and strong these are. I'll never use any other method now that I can do these.

You can also fold over the end of your fly line and nail knot a loop using 2-3 nail knots -- that works too.

For tippet to leader I use a triple surgeon's in the field because they're easy and I tie them well enough to trust them.

Last edited by turbineblade; 05-05-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlai View Post
I had the idea that the nail knot may be neater than the usual double surgeon's knot that I use for leader-tippet, but I can't for the life of me tie one that doesn't slip. I've tried mono-to-mono, and mono-to-flourocarbon and neither worked. My nail knot for backing to fly line never has slippages.

Is this not the right use of a nail knot? Do everyone just use double surgeon for this connection?

Will
No!

A nail knot works because the coating of the fly line is compressible and the knot "bites" into the surface. You will notice that in a nail knot, the fly line is not actually a part of the knot. It is what the knot is tied around. It all mono to mono knots, both sides of the knot must be part of the knot.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
A nail knot works because the coating of the fly line is compressible and the knot "bites" into the surface.
It is for this reason that I don't care for nail knots -- mechanically they're...stupid . A compromise, at best.

At least if you fold the fly line over into a loop and nail knot it, you have a nail knot gripping 2 sections of fly line .
Old 05-05-2013, 06:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Why don't you just use a blood knot? They are neat, pretty danged close to a 100% strength knot. Better than either of the knots you mentioned.
I'm with you on this one Dan. I use blood knots when attaching tippet to leader and when tying my leaders. They're very neat and rarely let me down when chasing trout or steelhead unless I've botched tying the knot.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I go back to the original question which is "tippet to leader".

This is a situation where only a good mono to mono knot is used. The one I like the best is the blood knot. You can even leave one end of the blood knot quite long so that you can even tie a second fly to your leader. The uni to uni knot is also just as good.