The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 06:45 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New to fly fishing and in need of help

Out of these combos which would you guys pick (not being able too see them may be hard)http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105571980
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105571980
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105571980
To me the last two "look" better quality but I haven't held them or actually seen them yet. Sorry for asking so many questions.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 PM

chefdg is on a distinguished road

Of those three, I would do the Wind River Combo. I would go with that one over the one I bought last year, as the reel looks a bit nicer.

Also, since I already had an issue with the Three Forks rod, I would lean towards the Wind River. Granted, the rod tip was likely due to some error on my part, the reel seat issue was not because of me that I know of.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

If you get a combo with line included for a good price, buy a better quality line also. You can lawn cast with the cheap stuff until you get the basics down without damaging the good stuff. Then just switch out before heading to the water.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome aboard, Eric!

Cabelas is well-regarded. I have a three forks rod. It works well.

There's a learning curve to all of this, but you'll climb it soon enough.

The essential skills: basic cast and a roll cast, knots, drifting a fly without drag. The most important of all is fish knowledge.

My advice: read all you can and watch youtube, especially for casting. Orvis has some videos with a guy names Peter Kutzer who looks to be an excellent teacher. Mel Krieger's are good, too, as are Steve Rajeff's. Lefty Kreh and Joan Wulff show up on some videos and they are masters, too.

You'll notice immediately that they all do it differently, just as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, and Tiger Woods have different golf swings.

If you're up to it, take a casting class or sign up for a lesson.

Fr. Marion
Old 05-15-2013, 05:46 PM

Just a little update. I will be going to cabelas on Saturday to puck up a three forks combo as well as fly or 2. (I already have a few flys that I am going and try to post a picture of to see if anyone can identify. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
And yes, in case your wondering, that is a piece of mono filament leader attached to each one. I used these a few times of blue gill (dont ask, but it worked every time)
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-16-2013, 01:38 PM

parsond is on a distinguished road

Welcome to fly fishing!

One thought I might add is to go to your stream and capture insects you see in and on the water. Look them over carfully, pay particular attention to size, and then purchase a few flies that look a bit like them.

Other then that do what you can given your casting abilities to get a good drag free drift over the fish. Being sneaky and getting close is better than casting a long ways any day of the week.

Good luck! I hope you love it!

Dan
fly_guy12955 likes this.

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-16-2013, 01:42 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Being sneaky and getting close is better than casting a long ways any day of the week.
This is for sure !

Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

Hey, worms work great for trout when it is what they are keying in on. Sometimes we get this hatch of worms that come out of the trees, they are usually green and maybe in inch or inch and a half long and the trout definitely do eat them. Also when the water is above the normal high water mark and rising with lots of rain and earthworm fly will slam them. I usually just use a san juan worm either green or red depending on what is happening. But if there is something else going on in the river that is distracting them you can throw a worm live or a fly all day and its not going to happen.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:24 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Here's a quick tip for starting out. Fly fishing is much different than conventional fishing. In order to be successful at catching fish, you will need to be successful at the basics (casting, fly selection, a few knots, how your target feeds).

In this light, I'd urge you to focus on the basics, and not on catching fish at the start. If you go out day one hoping to catch a bunch of fish, you will be disappointed. If you go out hoping to improve your cast or to learn how rainbows feed and what flies will work best, you will see your own improvement and be happy. That improvement will then pay great dividends once you start focusing on catching fish.

Fly fishing is a lot like playing a musical instrument. You cant expect to play you're favorite song right off the bat; you're going to miss notes, and no one will be impressed. Focus on the basics, however, and that song you like will turn out a lot better when you finally give it a shot.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 PM

Thank you again for all yalls help. I fully intend my first trips out to catch nothing. Catching something would be a bonus. Thats why ill bring my spinning rod along so I can maybe have a better shot at hooking something after im done practicing with the flyrod. Do the pictures I posted look anything like something you may use for trout?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2