The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough
Default New to fly fishing and in need of help

Hello, my name is Eric. Im new to this forum and I am looking to get into fly fishing. I live in eastern PA (schnecksville specifically) and would fish in a few smaller creeks and streams. I have fished in said streams with a regular pole and only caught blue gill and some very small bass. I can see the trout but they never seem to take a worm (I assume thats not their natural food) I have seem a few other people fly fishing and always thought it looked like fun. I am basically looking for a point in the right direction to get going. I was at cabelas and saw a setup for $69 on sale. It had a 9' rod, a reel and line. I dont want to initially put alot of money into a setup if I dont like it. Do you think this rod would het me through a summer of fishing or shoukd I look for something better? Also what works best for rainbows? I know this is a very subjective question but any and all help is greatly appreciated. Also I dont know the technique so id have to lean that as well.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New to fly fishing and in need of help

Hello Eric,

Any of todays starter packages will surpass what I had as a beginner so I wouldn't hesitate at the price. I would say that some understanding of the mechanics of casting will be helpful. I have often recommended a book, old but not outdated by Tom McNally called Fly Fishing. Simply that; Fly Fishing, not to be confused with any other titles I hope. A copy may be found at your local public library if you're lucky, or can be purchased around 12 dollars from used book sellers.

Also, Pennsylvania is a fly fishers paradise in the North central part of the state. After you are able to cast I would be ready to give destination advise to many great weekend get aways.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 PM

Thank you for the reply. I may pick up that combo then. Whats a good assortment of flys to start with? Im not really targeting any species just trying to have fun and learn. I have seen some places that have a small assortments of flys. Also cabelas has a fly shop that makes flys right there if you want. Is there a special type I should look for or is it completely dependent on the area in which you fish. Thank you again for the assistance.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Usually area specific but many dry flies like The Adams, Light Cahill, Sulphur, and Blue Wing Olive are about everywhere you fish in PA. The book would be a need to have item also. If you have a little time read this; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...overnight.html

In case you have trouble accessing part 2; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-part-two.html

The old book becomes prominent in the story. I don't try to teach people how to fish or cast here, however I do tell them what I've done over the years Some things seem worth sharing with others to try helping them from making the same mistakes I have.

Ard

Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 PM

chefdg is on a distinguished road

Hi Eric,

I also am relatively new to the fly fishing world. Last year about this time I knew that I would be spending a lot more time on the water and was taking a fly fishing trip in August. Knowing that, I was looking at the Cabela's combos as well. I went with the Three Forks Rod with Prestige Plus combo in a 9' 5wt.

The line was junk, and it didn't take a lot of fishing to figure that out, even being new at the sport. I only got to take it out about 5-6 times last year (I also had an 8 wt that I got a long time ago and never used, but used a lot last year). My first time out this year I broke the rod tip and the reel seat was coming loose. Cabela's replaced it without problem because it was still within the year warranty (barely). They do have good customer service.

I only say any of this to say that if you think there is any chance you will stick with fly fishing (and why wouldn't you ) to not be afraid to spend a little more on their better combos, or get a combo without the line and backing and pick up a good line seperate.

Just my .02. Happy fishing!
Derek
Hardyreels and shotgunfly like this.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Hi Derek,

Your .02 cents is more than welcome here! I have no experience with these kits and can only generalize when thinking of what one got cheap in the 1960's..............

First hand experience is far more valuable than my best guess could be.

Ard

Old 05-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Thank you guys for all the help. I too read some reviews of the cabelas combo (the one I saw was the windy river model) saying the line was not the best. At tbis point it may be in my best interest to piece together a setup. So now I have one last question before I order the book and go make my list for cabelas. What is a good length rod for a beginner, what test? (Sorry not sure the proper term for the line) and does the line have different types? Such as monofilament or braided line in standard fishing. Sorry for so many questions. Thanks again
Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Thanks Ard!

I've been learning a ton on this forum and I get excited when something comes up that I feel like I might have some knowledge of to help.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Administrator

I started out with a 6 weight but 5 or 6 would fit general fishing in your area. I grew up in PA. that's why I think I know some things about it there. 8 or 9 foot rod either one is good, some prefer longer for learners but I don't see much difference. It's kinda like telling me that learning German will be easier for me than Russian..............

Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 PM

Eric,

After realizing my line was junk I went searching for a quality line for a 3 wt that I bought in the fall. (Did I mention, you will more than likely like flyfishing?) I bought a Rio Trout LT, and the first time I casted it felt like a dream come true compared to the Cabela's line. I bought the weight forward line, but was looking for a double taper. Weight forward seems to be the most readily available. For my 5 wt, I got a new line from Sierra Trading post on sale. I just can't remember the name of it.

A 9ft rod was recommended to me for length. And if you aren't fishing real tight spots it is probably the way to go. The weight of rod is geared more toward the fish you are targeting. I use my 5 weight for bass primarily. The closest trout water to me is not close.