The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By swirlchaser
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 2 Post By Glen Wright

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Casting Sink Tips or Masochism?

Yesterday I decided to try to catch some Shad in the American River, its been years since I've fished for shad and the first with a fly rod. The river is only about 5 minutes from my new home. It was the first time in years that I used a sink tip line, the last time was about 20 years ago. The line I'm using is a Rio Sink Tip, Fresh Water 250g on a 9' 7wt. Even with minimal back casting and double hauling my distance really sucked. I caught my shirt and hit my back with the fly numerous times it felt worse than getting shot with high powered paint ball. I tried casting more side arm than usual and that helped some, but it felt like the line was just dragging against the guides.

HELP!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:12 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting Sink Tips or Masochism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
Yesterday I decided to try to catch some Shad in the American River, its been years since I've fished for shad and the first with a fly rod. The river is only about 5 minutes from my new home. It was the first time in years that I used a sink tip line, the last time was about 20 years ago. The line I'm using is a Rio Sink Tip, Fresh Water 250g on a 9' 7wt. Even with minimal back casting and double hauling my distance really sucked. I caught my shirt and hit my back with the fly numerous times it felt worse than getting shot with high powered paint ball. I tried casting more side arm than usual and that helped some, but it felt like the line was just dragging against the guides.

HELP!
I fish sink heads a lot and I think I know what's happening here, hopefully I can help. Sinktips and sink heads have the same mass as a floating line in a more compact area (they're thinner). This makes them pick up speed much faster than a floating line. If I had to guess I would say that your timing is off. Switching from a floating line to a sink tip will take some adjusting. My best advise without actually seeing what's going on is to slow down. Sinktips usually need a slower stroke because they pick up more line speed.
mcnerney, fredaevans and FlyBum like this.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I fish sink heads a lot and I think I know what's happening here, hopefully I can help. Sinktips and sink heads have the same mass as a floating line in a more compact area (they're thinner). This makes them pick up speed much faster than a floating line. If I had to guess I would say that your timing is off. Switching from a floating line to a sink tip will take some adjusting. My best advise without actually seeing what's going on is to slow down. Sinktips usually need a slower stroke because they pick up more line speed.
I did notice that when I slowed down my casts were better, so this confirms slowing down is part of the equation.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I did notice that when I slowed down my casts were better, so this confirms slowing down is part of the equation.
It definitely is. if you match the head of your sink tip to one of your floating lines you will notice the sinktip is about half the diameter. So you have the same mass in half the space. The wind resistance is much less so you can imagine how fast the sinktip is traveling. Get used to ducking as well because they hurt!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Tom,

I don't use them. The thread link tells how I make deep running leaders for fishing. Scroll down through the pictures of the connector step by step and fine the leader described in detail at the bottom of post. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

Quite a few people rigging this way and everyone sends positive reviews on their experiences. Any questions, let me know.
FlyBum likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Practice until you find the sweet spot amount of overhang needed to make the cast work best for you and your rig.
You mentioned double haul which leads me to believe you're false casting. Try one back cast/ pick up then a nice haul on the forward cast and see if you can make that work for you.
Sometimes trying to pick up too much line and/or not bringing that line to the surface before the pick up can create a mess.

Best of luck with those sinkers to you!
FlyBum likes this.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You'll find the same to be true with a 2hander. On/Off topic Mick Bell (aka "Bloke" if memory serves) from the 'Mother Board' sent me a set of 2hander sink tips. Sink tips I know, but these are exceptional, never seen their like before. Skagit Head, a RIO 'compensator in the middle, and Spring King Salmon fishing. SpeyCo reel coming for the Sage 8136-4, add backing and I'm off to the 'races.'
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 AM

Yesterday I went out again. Thanks to the replies here and an article I read my casting was dramatically better from the first cast. I had much better line control and could get all the distance I wanted. One thing that help a lot was roll casting to get the sink tip out of the water, before the back cast.

I didn't catch any shad, but I didn't beat myself like I was practicing religious self-flagellation either , so I consider it a win.

I may go out again today and Thursday morning. Thursday evening I'm driving to my cousin's in Yuba City and Friday morning he and I are going to float the Lower Sac for trout with a guide. I'll be sure to take pics.

As for the double haul, I was wrongly trying to use a haul to get the line out of the water. For some reason it never dawned on me Monday to roll cast then start my back cast.
swirlchaser and fredaevans like this.