The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default NFO Outlaw Escape pontoon/kick boat

Hey - I'm looking at getting one of these...possibly. I saw an old thread and it looks like some people on here like this boat. Any additional comments from owners?

I also had a question: Can this toon be easily put together on site versus leaving it inflated all the time on a car rack or something? I like in the city and the ability to break it down and put it back together at the water is necessary for my purposes .

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NFO Outlaw Escape pontoon/kick boat

Me and Mojo had one. We sold them as they were just too small for us. It was hard to row because of our knees.
We sold them and bought the Renegade which is 3' longer but only 4lbs heavier.
There is no room behind the seat on the Escape either.
I gotta throw this out there, I have a Renegade for sale for the same price as an Escape. It has been used for a couple years, but also maintained as well. Couple scrapes but absolutely NO leaks, plus the life time warranty still applies.
Have pictures if this interests you.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM

depenner will become famous soon enough

I have one. It easily breaks down; albeit not that small. I use a hockey goalie equipment bag to store/carry mine. There is plenty of room in the bag for the boat, oars, flippers, life vest, pump, etc.

I will say that if you haven't tried one of these out you might want to see if you can try one before buying. If you're planning on covering a lot of water you might want to look at other options. It gets you around faster than a float tube, but it is still a fair bit of work. Also if you use a long flipper, it can be a little awkward getting your feet on and off the rest bar.

david
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

To me, the Escape is a float tube. The oars are an added attraction. It's just that it's the Godzilla of float tubes. I didn't really think that way when I had it. If you think of it as a kickboat/pontoon, there are better choices out there. If you want it and use it as a float tube, you'll love it. I used it as a kickboat, even though I had a Renegade and an X5 Outlaw (kickboats) at the time. Now we have Predators on order. Bigger than the Escape but smaller than the Renegade. It'll fit between the wheelwells of a pickup.
Ultra light at 12 lbs. For me this is the best of both worlds.