The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By fredaevans
  • 2 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 PM

desertfly83 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly guide

Dose anyone out there have any good tips for a first year guide?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly guide

Dont give up your day job!

Just kidding!

Where are you guiding and for what? Boat or on foot? Independent , working for a company , lodge or outfitter? A little background helps.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 PM

desertfly83 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to guide school in Montana and landed a guide job at brooks lake lodge in Wyoming right after school it will be on foot I guess I'm kind of nervous I've put a lot of time effort not to mention money into this but I guess the reason I'm so nervous is because I never get a chance to go fish that and I don't know anyone that fly fishes in my town so I don't really have someone around to tell me hey you need to work on this or give me any tips
Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This will sound too obvious, but hire a guide for a day (or go as 'second fiddle' on a trip or two) and see how 'experience' works. The hard part for a 'newbie' is how to handle a client. Good day, bad day, and everything in between.
Hardyreels and ontheflyguide like this.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sent you a PM.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 AM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

Work, Work, And More Work. You can't make the fish bite, but you can do your best to put people over fish, use the right fly, and teach the proper presentation. Above all of this is work! make sure they know they got their money's worth even if it was a off day. Oh and did I say WORK!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:29 AM

tromak is on a distinguished road

Just always try your hardest. That's all you ever have to do, there is nothing more to it than that.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked up Brooks Lake Lodge. This job could be very promising.

Others have mentioned much, so I will just add.

This is going to be a learning season for you. After you are finished fishing with other guides, clients, or yourself, write in a journal some of your observations. You could write down how the fishing was, how cold or how warm the water was, what was hatching, what flies worked (or did not work), what techniques worked in which situations, or other observations (like which clients to avoid - sorry had to throw that in). You will end up learning from these observations and can make future outings more successful.

Good luck,
Dennis
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:54 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Great observation from Dennis; I'd follow that advise. The first two seasons are going to be a real learning curve. The odds of you 'remembering' how a day went a couple of weeks later is close to zero.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road

Hey! Good Luck this season!!! I have been guiding for more years than I care to add up, most years in the summers only as I am a teacher September to May.

It’s been wonderful seasonal work for me and I have deeply enjoyed being able to spend a lot of time on the water and meet new interesting people. While I do obsessively fish year round, and in the summer we stay pretty busy, I have never guided year-round and as my sole source of income, so take my ideas with a grain of salt please.

I look at good guiding the way I look at good teaching. The river is my classroom, the clients my students (and the wind is an angry parent cussing me out on the phone. LOL.) Students mirror my attitude and enthusiasm in the classroom. I strive to find ways to connect to every kid in my room and develop a rapport with them. Some are easier to bond with than others, but it’s possible to do. So stay positive on the water and have fun! I believe speaking negatively about clients is bad karma and unprofessional. Good guides like the people they take out. Students also know when I am not prepared or I am full of ****. So keep an organized/clean boat and gear, plenty of flies you know will work, a great lunch, have a plan for the day, and BE AUTHENTIC. Lastly, and I think this is important; Students want to feel confident in your knowledge of the subject matter and your ability to lead them through it. Clients want to know that you know your water, your tactics, your fish, etc. and can help them put that knowledge to good use so they have a great day.

Others on this post are right – this will be a good learning year for you. I wish you all the best in your endeavors! I bet it will be great!