The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM

shug11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello I'm New Here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Last flies I purchased I bought out of this sort of guilt reflex. I picked un interesting flies in a local shop, mentally dissected them and memorized them and put them back in thier correct little bins. After realizing I had everything I needed to try the new-to-me patterns I was going to leave empty handed because what I went there for wasn't available.

The one guy working there was genuinely friendly and amiable on my way past him to the door. I stopped and thought about it for a second, went back and picked up one of each of the flies I was going to copy. The guy looked at me a little weird; maybe because I was buying singles and had an odd little collection. He smiled and shook his head when I offered "Examples are a good thing to have, non?"

Anyhow, I am pretty sure your best-bang-for-the-buck flies are going to come from a local tyer or from a tyer how is willing to tie to suit for you. You'll pay more for the flies, but they will probably hold up and fish a whole lot better.
One day I will get into fly tying, but having a 1 year old daughter who loves to touch EVERYTHING, I'm sure most of my fly tying materials will be everywhere in the house or in her mouth. Anyone know if the saliva of a 1 year old is a natural attractant?

Anyways, that was one of the reasons I started to buy flies online. The flies at my local shop were horrible. I would cast the fly out, not even get any hits, and when I got the fly back to me, it looked like it was about to fall apart. They were horrible! So I said screw it.. I'd rather buy quality flies online from a reputable site and pay the extra $$ then to waste my money on flies that won't last past the first trip.

So far the flies I bought online have been very good. Haven't seen much wear and tear so I know that they were tied properly.

Trying to get my friend to send me some flies he's tied but his vise broke so until he gets a new one.. no flies from him.

Argail, I think they were in prespawn, so they had some nice colors on them. Especially the big guy.

Bruce, thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately, this is a once in the lifetime thing for me, (or I'm a once in a season) I normally can't even hook onto a smallie because they're so smart and the creek I go to is sometimes overfished. I think I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. I'll take lucky over good any day

Gzar, I agree 100%. People say Carp gives a good fight, but I feel like Smallies never give up on their fight. They might take a break, but as soon as you think the fight is over, vxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, and out he goes.