The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:12 PM

loren_brothers will become famous soon enough
Question First dumb question ...

Hi all. Time for my first newbie question!

I was wondering if anyone could provide some links to lists of Fly fishing terminology/glossaries? I checked out the sticky in this section about terminology: it was humorous but not too helpful LOL.

I figured that I should at least know the names of various things before I jump in and try to hold a conversation. I have only been fly fishing once and that was in Scotland. My Ghillie handed me the pole and said he would show me how to cast. That's it!

I know you all like pictures so I will toss a couple in from Scotland ... including my big $700 Atlantic Salmon ...

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Scary, eh?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First dumb question ...

Give this site a try: Beginner

Also take a look around the Orvis Learning Center, it has some great inoformation for beginners. How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis
fredaevans likes this.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks.

I had already seen some of the Orvis videos, but had completely missed the Glossary. It is short but will probably help a lot since I don't know a tippet from a leader or backing.

Warned ya I was a newbie!

Any other glossary links will be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here is another one you might find useful:
Glossary of Fly Fishing Terms

Also checkout a book written by Ed Quigley titled: Fly Fishing Advice from an Old Timer, the Kindle version is only $4.99.
Fly Fishing Advice from an Old Timer: A Practical Guide to the Sport and Its Language: Ed Quigley: 9781440165511: Amazon.com: Books Fly Fishing Advice from an Old Timer: A Practical Guide to the Sport and Its Language: Ed Quigley: 9781440165511: Amazon.com: Books

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here:AN INTERNATIONAL GLOSSARY OF FLY FISHING TERMS
and here:Glossary of Fly Fishing Terms - Private Company Advisors
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:50 PM

peterjay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren_brothers View Post
I figured that I should at least know the names of various things before I jump in and try to hold a conversation. I have only been fly fishing once and that was in Scotland. My Ghillie handed me the pole and said he would show me how to cast. That's it!
Lesson #1:

NEVER refer to a fly rod as a "pole." The term "pole" describes the structure that is employed in displaying flags, and also describes the denizens of Warsaw and its surrounding environs, but (I repeat) NEVER a fly rod.

Taking heed of this advice will save you from an unexpected deluge of sneers, snickers, eye rolls, and derisive laughs that would surely send you scurrying back to your car in shame. This might seem like minor information, but you'll thank me some day.
shimloom likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Great 'where to' info above, but I loved the two pictures. I've caught a very similar fish a day or so back (Steelhead smolt).
Old 05-09-2013, 01:55 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Peterjay I had to laugh. For years I have told people a "pole" is for telephone wires and strippers, not something you fish with. Gets some funny looks when you correct people.

Craig
Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 PM

Okay ... I promise never to use the "P" word again.

lol

Thanks for the links. I think that will get me started!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjay View Post
Lesson #1:

NEVER refer to a fly rod as a "pole." The term "pole" describes the structure that is employed in displaying flags, and also describes the denizens of Warsaw and its surrounding environs, but (I repeat) NEVER a fly rod.

Taking heed of this advice will save you from an unexpected deluge of sneers, snickers, eye rolls, and derisive laughs that would surely send you scurrying back to your car in shame. This might seem like minor information, but you'll thank me some day.

+2 on the above. Calling a "rod" a "pole" will show that you are a newbie.

Some dictionaries define rods and poles as identical, but my understanding is that there is a difference between a fishing pole and a fishing rod.

A fishing "pole" has no line guides and no reel. The fishing line is tied to the end of the "pole" like the cane poles that Tom Sawyer used. This is the proper use of the term "pole."

A fishing "rod" has line guides and a reel seat. So we use fly rods and not fly poles. Technically a tenkara outfit is a "pole" and not a rod.

"fishing pole: noun: a long, slender rod of wood or other material with a line and hook fastened to one end for use in catching fish."

Fishing pole | Define Fishing pole at Dictionary.com

In England I don't think they make that distinction between rod and pole.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy