The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 05:12 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: North American fishing club product tester?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
The article on attractor flys was very good! As was said the field tester is an advertisement gimmick and you will get stuff to test like 5 hooks , three curly tails a spoon etc.
That's what I meant by "plastic baits" too.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have heard of this group. Although, even if they were a fly fishing oriented outfit I would still have a problem testing gear for them. I'll try to clarify that statement below.

For instance, if you were contacted by Simms and ask to test various waders - boots - and etc. using a new wader every other trip would not impair your personal experience at all. This would possibly be a good thing if you were allowed to keep the gear as you went. As a fisherman and not a professional field tester we have rods and reels that we like. We bought them because we like them.

Being ask to use a different rod - line - leader - or reel constantly throughout the season would only be fun for me if I were considered an employee of the test company. In other words, I have done some tests for companies. What I find is that testing things once in a while is not a big deal. Writing up a detailed review regarding the results requires some work. On its face the proposition of testing gear sounds good, it's the hidden elements of being a good field tester that sully the deal.

They probably aren't going to send you the 2013 rods and reels from Sage, Orvis, Loomis, Winston, Hardy, and etc. If that becomes the case you may well want to look into the offer.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine that's a hardware guy used to 'belong"
I thought it was pretty funny at the time and would bust his stones about it, but he said that they had sent him some pretty good stuff. Exactly what I don't remember., but he did sometimes wear a embroidered bassin' jacket with their logos.

Still, it's not fly fishing and I still snicker about it.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I was in both the fishing and the hunting "Club" for a couple of years. I never received anything to test. This was about the time I was moving toward fly fishing and away from spin rods. I still have a ton of really spiffy stickers from them.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard
Being ask to use a different rod - line - leader - or reel constantly throughout the season would only be fun for me if I were considered an employee of the test company.
I agree 100% Ard.

In the "rod" category, it would take me less than 30 seconds to determine if I would even ever use it fishing once. Fly lines - the same - except for the amount of time required to spool two out of three of them up - with the manufacturer's named "weight" of the rod being the middle line weight.

They'd have to pay me way more than they'd want for me to use a rod or line I don't like for even 3 times out fishing with it.

Fishing time is too valuable to mess with nonsense like that.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:37 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

NAFC is a joke... Not a scam.. But don't be expecting to test out any G.Loomis rods any time soon... They'll send you eagle claw hooks.. silly prototype bobbers... plastics... and I got a Walleye book from them too...

There's better groups out there for testing products... Or rather use to be... Seems like the last one I was a member of changed their policies... Glad I got my $300~ of gear for about $40 before that all changed... Don't get me wrong... I know people still getting rods and such from this company... But it takes longer to build points to get the products to test and keep
Old 05-11-2013, 12:17 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I belonged for a year several years ago. All I'll say is that when you are done with them, it takes some time and effort to convince them of that fact. I personally would never consider joining again, even if the offered me a Sage rod and reel.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point , they are everywhere, they even advertise on this forum!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser