The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   North American fishing club product tester? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/318963-north-american-fishing-club-product-tester.html)

peter hanman 05-09-2013 06:27 PM

North American fishing club product tester?

Hello everyone,

I have just been contacted in the mail by the "north American fishing club" to be a product tester. They want me to become a member and RSVP within 10 days. Is anyone a Memeber of this? Is it a scam? What do I do?

littledavid123 05-09-2013 06:35 PM

Re: North American fishing club product tester?

I would do just as you have, if no one from this forum (I haven't heard of them) knows this group??? I would stay away.

Dave

oarfish 05-09-2013 06:41 PM

Just google the name and you will get a answer.

Rick

milt spawn 05-09-2013 06:50 PM

I believe they are a reputable group, they do a TV show geared more toward spin/baitcast type fishers. They do an interesting segment on their show called "Knot Wars", testing one knot against another, I think they have it as an app. As to the tester program, I do not know, but they prolly have info on their site. Welcome to the forum BTW. milt.

loren_brothers 05-09-2013 06:50 PM

Probably just a gimmick to sucker you into paying dues or fees

wjc 05-09-2013 09:02 PM

I"m with Loren on this one. Off the subject question for Milt or Loren. Is Concrete, Washington close to Slab City, Calif.? :D

williamhj 05-09-2013 10:33 PM

Got that awhile ago as well. Made me think 'if it's too good to be true...' and after a brief look online the instinct was confirmed. It might be a legitimate organization in some ways but my understanding is that the product tester thing is not honestly advertised, of low value, and annoying to say the least.

fredaevans 05-09-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjc (Post 554450)
I"m with Loren on this one. Off the subject question for Milt or Loren. Is Concrete, Washington close to Slab City, Calif.? :D

I've seen the tv show on several occations, but a product tester??? As to Concrete,Washington its about (educated guess here) about 50 miles up river from the mouth of the Skagit River in western Washington. From Seattle the drive would be close to twice that distance up I-5 and hang a right up the river. Don't ask me to test the milage, as its been years since I made the drive.

cowpokey 05-09-2013 11:23 PM

I've been a life member of the NAFC for quite a few years, they have a pretty decent magazine...but not much in the way of fly fishing. They have an online forum too, but it doesn't get much traffic compared to more focused (species, tackle, region) forums do.

I was a product tester for a little while, but never submitted a review of what they sent me because they sent me stuff I wouldn't use. They make it sound like you get great stuff to test and keep, and you do keep what they send ya. But when they send you 3~4 plastic baits to test that would probably work great for warm water fish, and you don't fish for them how do you give them an honest review? :doh:

Not everyone gets a new trolling motor, or canoe, or etc...probably have to work your way up the product testing ladder to get anything worthwhile.

Long story short, it's not a scam, just a way they use to grow their membership. I look forward to reading the magazine when the new issue comes out. This month actually had an article on attractor flies, it was good.

theboz 05-10-2013 03:52 AM

The article on attractor flys was very good! As was said the field tester is an advertisement gimmick and you will get stuff to test like 5 hooks , three curly tails a spoon etc. There is a hunting club that goes by the same name and does the field testing thing also. I doubt you are getting a Remington 870 from them but I got a licence holder once. I think a big grab for many people is the members trophy page that posts pretty much everything and anything the members send in. Some people will definately like it to each his own but its not for everybody. For me its to much pole and string fishing!