The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 PM

peter hanman will become famous soon enoughpeter hanman will become famous soon enough
Default North American fishing club product tester?

Hello everyone,

I have just been contacted in the mail by the "north American fishing club" to be a product tester. They want me to become a member and RSVP within 10 days. Is anyone a Memeber of this? Is it a scam? What do I do?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North American fishing club product tester?

I would do just as you have, if no one from this forum (I haven't heard of them) knows this group??? I would stay away.

Dave
Old 05-09-2013, 06:41 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Just google the name and you will get a answer.

Rick
Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they are a reputable group, they do a TV show geared more toward spin/baitcast type fishers. They do an interesting segment on their show called "Knot Wars", testing one knot against another, I think they have it as an app. As to the tester program, I do not know, but they prolly have info on their site. Welcome to the forum BTW. milt.

Last edited by milt spawn; 05-09-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 PM

loren_brothers will become famous soon enough

Probably just a gimmick to sucker you into paying dues or fees
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I"m with Loren on this one. Off the subject question for Milt or Loren. Is Concrete, Washington close to Slab City, Calif.?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Got that awhile ago as well. Made me think 'if it's too good to be true...' and after a brief look online the instinct was confirmed. It might be a legitimate organization in some ways but my understanding is that the product tester thing is not honestly advertised, of low value, and annoying to say the least.
tbblom likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I"m with Loren on this one. Off the subject question for Milt or Loren. Is Concrete, Washington close to Slab City, Calif.?
I've seen the tv show on several occations, but a product tester??? As to Concrete,Washington its about (educated guess here) about 50 miles up river from the mouth of the Skagit River in western Washington. From Seattle the drive would be close to twice that distance up I-5 and hang a right up the river. Don't ask me to test the milage, as its been years since I made the drive.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 PM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

I've been a life member of the NAFC for quite a few years, they have a pretty decent magazine...but not much in the way of fly fishing. They have an online forum too, but it doesn't get much traffic compared to more focused (species, tackle, region) forums do.

I was a product tester for a little while, but never submitted a review of what they sent me because they sent me stuff I wouldn't use. They make it sound like you get great stuff to test and keep, and you do keep what they send ya. But when they send you 3~4 plastic baits to test that would probably work great for warm water fish, and you don't fish for them how do you give them an honest review?

Not everyone gets a new trolling motor, or canoe, or etc...probably have to work your way up the product testing ladder to get anything worthwhile.

Long story short, it's not a scam, just a way they use to grow their membership. I look forward to reading the magazine when the new issue comes out. This month actually had an article on attractor flies, it was good.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:52 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

The article on attractor flys was very good! As was said the field tester is an advertisement gimmick and you will get stuff to test like 5 hooks , three curly tails a spoon etc. There is a hunting club that goes by the same name and does the field testing thing also. I doubt you are getting a Remington 870 from them but I got a licence holder once. I think a big grab for many people is the members trophy page that posts pretty much everything and anything the members send in. Some people will definately like it to each his own but its not for everybody. For me its to much pole and string fishing!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser