The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By tbum2020
  • 1 Post By vanceinak
  • 2 Post By mikel
  • 1 Post By random user
  • 3 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Inflatable PDF's

For members that use an inflatable PDF while fishing. A question came up this morning while having coffee with forum member Mikel as to how often to replace the CO2 arming cylinder, as for my self I install a new arming kit every year which is most likely incorrect, the question is how do you approach maintenance on this type of PDF's

Rick
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 AM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Inflatable PDF's

The USCG states: Once used, or every five years, the complete inflator and CO2 cylinder must be replaced to rearm it.
I found the info from a pdf supplied from the USGG, heres the link to it:
http://bdept.cgaux.org/pdf/Inflatabl...cketBasics.pdf
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:43 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

I used to mechanic for a helicopter company here in AK & we had self inflating PFDs in the machine for offshore use. We were required to weigh the Co2 cylinders every year to confirm content.
mcnerney likes this.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 05-18-2013, 10:13 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
For members that use an inflatable PDF while fishing. A question came up this morning while having coffee with forum member Mikel as to how often to replace the CO2 arming cylinder, as for my self I install a new arming kit every year which is most likely incorrect, the question is how do you approach maintenance on this type of PDF's

Rick
yeah, so after coffee with Rick I spent the whole week in my float tube wondering if my pfd would float my fat b*$%
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:53 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
yeah, so after coffee with Rick I spent the whole week in my float tube wondering if my pfd would float my fat b*$%
That sounds like a glorious time! Let me guess you were a bit more careful and much more aware of how far from shore you were.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:17 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I purchased one of those Cabela's auto pfd. They came out last year and used to have a big discount sale.

The first time I used it, I fell head first into the cold water! It works pretty good, but I had to send to Cabelas to get a new co2 with sensor ($25 and it took 2 weeks to get there) LOL

I'm pretty sure the CO2 can't leak out or "go bad" so I don't think you have to change it if you don't use it ....... for a long time! Maybe replace in 20 years ..... if they still make them?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Stearns manual PFD that I bought in 2001. I have to pull a ripcord to get it to inflate.

After six or seven years of owning it, I decided to pull the ripcord. The PFD inflated flawlessly. I had a spare rearming kit to replace the spent cartridge.

Dennis
Old 05-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

My Stearns is older than Dennis's and I've never had to set it off Rick. It has never been stored in heat nor has it been frozen. The vest has a manual inflate tube and I air it up every year in spring and let it sit on the kitchen table over night to be sure the seams are good. It holds its air and I wear it every trip to the cabin. I hope I never need it but figure it'll work if I do.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the info.

Rick