The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Left or Right-hand reel'n?

I write left-handed, but throw, cast, and golf right-handed. Reeling right-hand
is something that I can't even imagine.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:00 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I learned casting right and reeling left but after buying a hardy perfect (agate guide makes it non reversible) i got used to switching hands and reeling right---now it doesnt make any difference---i cant cast very well left
Old 03-28-2008, 06:01 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Lefty Kreh once told me to reel with which ever hand feels right to you.. He's right...do what's best for you...no matter what anyone else says...what feels comfortable and what your used to..If you try changing now you'll end up messing up somewhere down the line..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I've been fishing spinning outfits for years, so I cast right and reel left. Doing it any other way would seem alien....not exactly wrong, just alien.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:21 PM

panfisher1125 is on a distinguished road

im going to go with the majority of the people here and say that you should reel with whatever hand feels comfortable i cast right and reel left but thats just me, do whatever feels right
Old 03-31-2008, 04:42 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

spinning - cast right / reel left
casting- cast right / reel right
fly- cast right / reel right
alvey - cast right/reel right
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-21-2008, 12:18 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

so i dont know much about fly reels or rods...but i just got a new okuma fly reel and i dont know if it came righty or lefty. i can switch it, i just dont know if i should. the reel clicks going one way, but doesnt in the other. should the reel click when i reel in? or when the fish is pulling out? i would assume it clicks when the fish is puuling line out, but im not 100% sure. thanks alot!!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

It should click when you pull line out. Does it have a drag adjustment? If so, turn it on and see which way get harder. It should get harder as you pull line off.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:59 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

thanks alot...yeah, it has a drag adjustment and it gets harder to pull out line when i tighten it.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:30 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogger View Post

Also, how do you switch it from left to right?

Any opinions would be great!
The two reels that I recently purchased both switch the same way. After taking the spool off the shaft there is a bearing that needs to be flipped the opposite direction. I have instuctions that show mine but a Google search might find how to do yours. Hope this gets you started in the right direction.
I'm new to FF but have always cast right and retreived left. My brain short circuits when I think about doing it different.

WHOOOPS. Just noticed the date on this thread. Bet that you already changed the reel. Sorry.