The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   10 pages anbd a project away from freedom! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/319110-10-pages-anbd-project-away-freedom.html)

Flyfisher for men 05-11-2013 09:52 AM

10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!
 
I'm finishing a brutal semester of grad school and this is all that's left.--ten pages of essay to write and a small project. Due Friday and then it's leave for five days of camping/fishing with my dad the following Monday.

Strangely enough, the liberation has already begun. This is actually the first week in months that I'm not thinking "how am I gonna get all this done?" It's doable!

Largemouth bass, crappies, bluegills, channel cats, campfires, camp cooking, card games, cigars, loafing, maybe even a round of golf....oh, the anticipation!!!!

if there ever was a week to thank God, it's this one.

Eddie O'Neill 05-11-2013 10:09 AM

Re: 10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!
 
Sounds like a great trip, look forward to the report:) Enjoy

fredaevans 05-11-2013 10:23 AM

Re: 10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!
 
What's the topic?

Fred

Flyfisher for men 05-11-2013 11:19 AM

Re: 10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 554910)
What's the topic?

Fred

Actually two essays (5 pages each)--one is on the American colonies and how they grew and matured into stable, proudly British societies before all hell broke loose with England. The second is the way the Revolution unfolded differently in each colonial region.

The project is basically how I would organize a course on 19th century America (one of my specialty fields). What texts and readings, how to teach it, what issues, etc.

I'm a doctoral student in American history, as you can probably guess. Kansas State University.

I'm at the statge that the more I write, the closer I am to being done (and to an extra chance to fish a local lake before the big trip:D).

fredaevans 05-11-2013 11:35 AM

Re: 10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!
 
For Jollies, look up (if you don't already know) the import and banning of the musket. Year'ish later you had a war on our hands.

Next is we won. 1/3 wanted/supported, 1/3 wanted nothing to do with it, 1/3 supported King George (rough number's here only). Those that supported KG (the 3rd?) were given a choice. Get out, and get out. Many went north to eastern Canada ... which was French.

Canada still lives (politically) with how that turned out. Ever buy a box/can of food 'up there?' Labels have to be printed in both languages. :rolleyes: Lot of us still refer to them as 'Frogs.'

Yes, I was born/raised in Canada.:D

fae

Didn't take the Colonial troupes too long to figure out 'pitched battles,' unless needed (you usually got your ass kicked) was not a good "Plan A." Every one knows about 'Gorilla Warfare,' actually invented here. In 'Europe' the fighting was long lines of troupes blasting away at each other at 50 or less yards and Officer's, or aiming at same, was a 'no-no.' The 'Kentucky Long Rifle' took care of that; you could pop one off his horse at 150-200 yards if you were a good shot. And if you owned one, you probably were. Not the invention of the 'Sniper,' but pretty close.

'Cut off the head and you kill the snake' was one description I remember reading.

But I ramble.

coug 05-11-2013 12:55 PM

Re: 10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!
 
And something to think about is that while you are having fun next week your profs will be stuck grading all of your hard work!

fredaevans 05-11-2013 02:03 PM

Re: 10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coug (Post 554948)
And something to think about is that while you are having fun next week your profs will be stuck grading all of your hard work!

Naaa, unless things have really changed, it was us 'Grad Students' that had to do the grading. Prof's went off to where ever they went. But you'd hit papers that were really exceptional and you'd fax same.

To get a 'I just really learned some thing' was a great moment. Back in the mid-60's so "fact checking" took a hell of a lot of work.

Flyfisher for men 05-11-2013 03:27 PM

Re: 10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 554928)
For Jollies, look up (if you don't already know) the import and banning of the musket. Year'ish later you had a war on our hands.

Next is we won. 1/3 wanted/supported, 1/3 wanted nothing to do with it, 1/3 supported King George (rough number's here only). Those that supported KG (the 3rd?) were given a choice. Get out, and get out. Many went north to eastern Canada ... which was French.

Canada still lives (politically) with how that turned out. Ever buy a box/can of food 'up there?' Labels have to be printed in both languages. :rolleyes: Lot of us still refer to them as 'Frogs.'

Yes, I was born/raised in Canada.:D

fae

Didn't take the Colonial troupes too long to figure out 'pitched battles,' unless needed (you usually got your ass kicked) was not a good "Plan A." Every one knows about 'Gorilla Warfare,' actually invented here. In 'Europe' the fighting was long lines of troupes blasting away at each other at 50 or less yards and Officer's, or aiming at same, was a 'no-no.' The 'Kentucky Long Rifle' took care of that; you could pop one off his horse at 150-200 yards if you were a good shot. And if you owned one, you probably were. Not the invention of the 'Sniper,' but pretty close.

'Cut off the head and you kill the snake' was one description I remember reading.

But I ramble.


Oh, yes. Talked about alot of it in class. This course has had less emphasis on the military side than many course, though. It brought out more of the tensions between Catholic New France and Protestant New England. It drove a lot of events and does not get much press.

Incidentally, I am French-Canadian in heritage (last name is Charboneau). We hail from Michigan originally. My grandmother was a Canadian citizen who married an American after WWI. My grandfather was a Frenchmen from up around Duluth, MN and wound up in Detroit.

We have a cross-border family reunion each year. This year it is on the American side, though. Planning to be there this year if all works out. There's a good smallmouth bass stream near a place we'll be for a few days, and good camping, beach, and golf along Lake Huron for a few more.:thumbsupu

Well, back to work. I'm slogging through Pennsylvania and how the diversity in the colony produced conflict. Not as bad as it sounds, but would rather be fishing...

fredaevans 05-11-2013 06:59 PM

Re: 10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!
 
My God I knew it! 'He's a Frog!'

:D

Just kidding, but if you want to keep 'things going' toss in Religion. Good Episcopalian Boy here;); We're all Fuzzy Bunnies. Well, there are some of late who've left the Reservation.

The reunions sound like a huge amount of fun, especially if you can toss in some good fishing along the way.

Fred

Edit: If not an imposition, I'd love to read your papers;

coug 05-11-2013 07:31 PM

Re: 10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 554966)
Naaa, unless things have really changed, it was us 'Grad Students' that had to do the grading. Prof's went off to where ever they went. .

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one, as I just spent the last two weeks grading grad student papers while looking out the window wishing I was fishing!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.