The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By djamtime
  • 1 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By random user
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By lacanadio
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough
Default recieved a lesson in humility today

Well, i woke up this morning and went fishing. Looked like it was going to rain, so i left the waders home and decided to throw from the bank. I was fishing when some guy (who was trying to be helpful) walked up and pissed me off by suggesting where i should be casting to. Not his fault. He didnt know i was arrogant. Then came the rain, so i went home. I proceed to clean my reel, my rod and i even cleaned/ slicked up my line. I boiled a leader and treated my favorite rig to a day at the spa. Following a short jog my fiancé suggested we go to her parents house. Great! I know what you're thinking but my favorite hole is right up the road from her parents house. I grabbed my freshly tuned 4wt and out the door we went. Well, the river was high and cold and there wasn't any bug activity. I tortured myself for about two hours trying to throw overweight, oversize nymphs and buggers with an indicator. No luck. To make matters worse, there was a couple of other people there that got to witness how poorly i cast weighted flys and shot with a 4wt. So... I gave up and went up the road a bit to a beautiful tailwater. I ran into an old man who was kind enough to give me a short lesson on the behavior of the fish in the high water and a nice all around conversation. Kinda helped my mindset a bit. So i scaled down the bank, re rigged the rod and proceeded to get the snag of all snags leaving me with a 5' leader. That was the humbling moment. The momemt that i remembered that the whole point was to have fun, not to look cool. The moment that i realized it didnt matter what i had or how much it cost. Well.. after that i tied on a sighter and managed to bring in about a doz. fun little browns. Euro nymph style. As fun as it was catching the fish, it was as if that river was going to kick my ass until i got off the high horse and became humble. Sorry guys for all the ramble, but i felt like sharing. Anyone else ever felt like this?
williamhj and troutchaser8 like this.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:13 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: recieved a lesson in humility today

The river is a good place to learn humility, I should go fishing before seeing my family when returning from a 3 week work stint.

Dave
djamtime likes this.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:56 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Is good to know I am not the only one who has a better time fishing when I can get out of my own way.
rccola712 likes this.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Old Guys, they do come in handy from time to time. Your story reminded me of something from the past that I wrote down. The link I'm pasting here http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...overnight.html will take you to the story. It's longer than yours but humility is at its core.

If you have trouble getting to part 2 here is the link http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-part-two.html

You're not the first and you won't be the last,

Ard
lacanadio and djamtime like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Ard,

That was an amazing story. Reading it made me feel exactly what I was trying to empathize last night through my babbling. I probably should have referred to the old man as the wise man. After all he may have been older than I, but old is only relative I suppose. It is days (or memories if you will) like those in your story or those in my own that I suppose will help to make us the wise man.

Thanks again,
- DJ
Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

I got humbled, too - by my wife. She fished the same rig on the San Juan this weekend for two days. No snarls, no snags, just fish. Lots - around 6 an hour on average. 18-20" - nice sizes, too.

Me, OTOH: snarls, some snags, rig retying, and surely not as many fish.

She professes not to know what she's doing. I think I'd rather be as ignorant as she thinks she is .

Bob
djamtime likes this.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamtime View Post
Ard,

That was an amazing story. Reading it made me feel exactly what I was trying to empathize last night through my babbling. I probably should have referred to the old man as the wise man. After all he may have been older than I, but old is only relative I suppose. It is days (or memories if you will) like those in your story or those in my own that I suppose will help to make us the wise man.

Thanks again,
- DJ
DJ,

I'm always happy to hear that something I've experienced can be helpful to others. I'm not sitting on the log yet but I've tried to enlighten a few younger fellows over the years.

Ard
djamtime likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;