The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Minnesota opener weirdness.

OK, this was an interesting opener. It was so cold and windy I was back in full winter gear. Before I went out I got a call from a friend of mine who works on Mille Lacs. A lake 4˝ or 5 hours South of me. She said "Go look and see if you can find pictures of whats happening down here. I'm on the South end of the lake and the ice sheet is blowing onto the shore. It's piling up against houses and taking out docks and trees. I just found this:
High Winds Create ‘Ice Tsunami’ On Mille Lacs Lake « CBS Minnesota

Up here the ice is still to solid to budge even though we had the winds. I talked to a guy that walked onto the lake off Rocky Point four days ago, and drilled a hole. Said there was 42" of solid ice. The river has come up at least 3' and is seriously cruising. It looks like coffee with milk in it and you have to dodge the trees and debris coming down the river. Baudette Bay has only been ice free for about 5 days and there are all kinds of trees and wood floating around in it.

Here's the best part, I still caught Walleye fly fishing. I was trying for Smallmouth in the Bay, day before yesterday and got this with my brand new R.L. Winston 7 wt. that I built myself over the winter. This is the first fish I got on it. 27" Walleye. Not a bad way to break in the rod huh?
Click the image to open in full size.
This evening I went down there and did a bit of fly fishing just because it's opener and the law I think makes you if you live here. The small Pike were biting like mad. But I got an 18" Walleye which kind of surprised me. We just don't get small ones fly fishing very often. It was cool. It was tasty.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:26 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minnesota opener weirdness.

Read posts like this and I have to shake my head. 91 yesterday and 93 the day before here in Southern Oregon. Clicked on the photo link in the article .... AMAZING!!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ice fracking, who would of thought it is a naturally occurring phenomena and has nothing to do with the oilfield.

Dave
Guest1 likes this.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 AM

zum will become famous soon enough

That ice is just crazy,mother nature showing us who is the real boss is.
42"s of ice still...is that normal for this time of year?

Nice that you got out on opening day,sounded like you caught some fish too.
Nice walleye,on the fly to,WTG.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Opens here Wed., and it's looking like the weather is going to cooperate. If I still had 42 inches of ice, I'd cry.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH. Fresh walleye........yummy
Old 05-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum View Post
42"s of ice still...is that normal for this time of year?

Nope, but it was predicted. Joe B@stardy and some, have demonstrated that what is going on with the climate is cyclical and we are entering the same cycle as the 50's. Gee, a model that the predictions fit the end result without finageling the numbers. Interestingly, the last time Mille Lacs had ice for opener was the 50's. We have had it four times since 97. In 2008 we had it till well into June, and may have it into June again this year.

I just talked to the lady down there I mentioned and she took some shots of the ice. It stacked up 30' high in places. When it hit houses, cabins and resorts, it pushed out the windows and doors and just kept on going. I guess they are scrambling trying to figure out how the insurance is going to call this one. Its it wind damage? Flooding? It's water damage I suppose even though it's frozen but if not for the wind....Crazy huh?

I had to use a symbol in Joe *******y's name because look at what the auto censor does.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:16 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

98 at the house today. 63 at the beach this morning at 0630 when the Sage "One" switch made it's second voyage into the salt. Unlike Dan's new rod the Sage still smells like shunk. And I thought our water was chilly. At least it isn't hard .

Very nice Walleye. Is that big for a Walleye? Don't have them here in Calif.

Pete
fredaevans likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-12-2013, 05:42 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Ice fracking, who would of thought it is a naturally occurring phenomena and has nothing to do with the oilfield.

Dave
Well 10,000 years ago half of North America was under an ice sheet. If I'm reading a on line news story right, the same thing occurred in Southern Manitoba Canada.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:30 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road

Wow! I grew up in that country and have fished Millacs scores of times. Never heard of anything like this!! My folks are on thier way to thier place on the lake outside of Isle - My Dads going to be blown away!!

Nice 'eye by the way!

Dan