The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By duker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 AM

trapperdave is on a distinguished road
Default Grayling Fly Fishing in Northwest Territories

New to this forum and fly fishing in general, but I hope to build my knowledge and appreciation of this exciting sport.

Here is a short video I recently made while accompanying a real top notch fly fisherman for a day on a Grayling stream in NWT.

I hope you enjoy this video as much as enjoyed being on this outing.

TrapperDave

Old 05-12-2013, 02:22 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grayling Fly Fishing in Northwest Territories

Welcome to the forum Dave and thanks for sharing your film. Beautiful country and river and hope to make it up there myself someday.

Dave
Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 PM

Thanks Little David,

I realize that it will take some time before the forum will allow me to upload any photos. I imagine it requires me to have posted a minimum number of times.

I will keep posting until I can be accepted.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

DaveClick the image to open in full size.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdave View Post
Thanks Little David,

I realize that it will take some time before the forum will allow me to upload any photos. I imagine it requires me to have posted a minimum number of times.

I will keep posting until I can be accepted.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

DaveClick the image to open in full size.
Cool hat...
Old 05-12-2013, 02:47 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Welcome to the forum TrapperDave. You'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable anglers here.

As you can see from my profile, I live in Yellowknife, NWT, and know how good the grayling fishing can be up here. You generally have to travel a ways from Yellowknife to find it, but if you do you can easily find streams with grayling that have never seen a lure or fly before. And as you discovered, they are great fun on a fly rod.

We also have whitefish and northern pike up here that will take a fly, and this summer I'm going to try for lake trout.

Scott
Old 05-12-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks Scott,

I am planning a trip to the East Arm this summer, likely during the latter part of July. Do you have any advice?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Dave.
Welcome to The Forum.
Brian
Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Hey TrapperDave:

This could be a long response--feel free to PM me if you want more info or have lots of questions--but I'll try to give you a quick rundown. . .

How are you getting out to the East Arm? Boat, plane, canoe? That may determine where you can go and what kind of water you can access. A buddy and I spent two weeks paddling McLeod Bay a few years ago and it was a very versatile way of getting around. Also, where in the East Arm are you going--it's a big area with a lot of water. I advise getting the 1:50,000 topographic maps for the area--you can order them from a number of map stores in Canada (but for some reason they are difficult to get in Yellowknife--try the Book Cellar, our local book store).

The East Arm is known for great lake trout fishing, but that is almost exclusively done with spinning gear and big spoons/buzz bombs/flatfish etc. In July the water will be getting warmer and the trout will be deeper. If you want to try fly fishing for whitefish and grayling there are lots of streams and rivers that drain into the north part of McLeod Bay that have fish in them. Three of them off the top of my head are the Lockhart, Hoarfrost, and Waldron rivers, but there are others. You can pull up to mouth of these in a canoe or boat, get out and hike up to check them out. All of these have rapids and small waterfalls that empty into perfect little pools that hold lots of fish. Needless to say, you won't see many other anglers, although there likely will be other boats in the bay. There's also a fishing lodge near Thalitheili Narrows but they'll be going out for trout in boats.

What else. . .there are black bears out there, which may come into your camp or you may encounter if you're hiking up a river. Also, not surprisingly, the mosquitos and black flies can be brutal during our summer months--bring DEET and/or a bug jacket.

The East Arm is an absolutely beautiful place, with some amazing landscape and impressive fishing opportunities. Whatever you're going for you'll have a memorable trip.

Scott
littledavid123 likes this.