The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Ever have one of those days... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/319283-ever-have-one-those-days.html)

parsond 05-13-2013 09:20 AM

Ever have one of those days...

So yesterday to celebrate Mom’s Day I took my wife and her best friend out onto Flaming Gorge Reservoir (near my house). It was beautiful out! I only have my drift boat, so I rigged up some buggers on a couple 5 weights and the 2 lovely ladies cast out and I rowed around and we sort of trolled while they soaked up the sun. They caught 11 good rainbows and had a blast!

That’s when things took a turn…

The wind came up and I had to work my butt off to get back to the truck or we would have been blown all the way to Utah. Ever row a drift boat against the wind a bit over 2 miles? I burned some calories! Exhausted, we decided to head home since the dirt gritted up the nice BBQ lunch we had planned, and in the process of loading the boat somehow the tip on my 9 foot XP got busted. That hurt. I hope Sage will fix it quickly - I need that rod! On the drive home the bucket I keep my anchor in blew out of the boat and hit our friends wind shield cracking it. No one was hurt, but it scared her. Then, 5 miles out of town I got a flat. Wow. :mad:

Anyway, we honestly laughed aboutour plight that evening while soaking in a hot tub and enjoying the night air, but for a bit it was looking like, “one of those days”

It got me wondering who else has had a bunch of different things go poorly while on an outing? Funny stories anyone?

Dan

mcnerney 05-13-2013 09:59 AM

Re: Ever have one of those days...

Dan: I hope your still smiling, that sounded awful! When I lived in Laramie, I used to go over to Delaney Buttes Lakes (just west of Walden, CO) with my drift boat. When the wind would come up I would put my anchor out, but the wind would just keep pushing me across the lake. I learned to be real careful about where I was on the lake because of the wind, my boat is a high side so it gets pushed pretty easy in high winds. When I moved up to Pinedale and fish the lakes I always plan on being on the west side of the lake in case the wind comes up, that way it won't be such a fight to get back to the truck.

It seems like everytime I float the Grey Reef the wind comes up and it always blows up river. About a mile or so from the Lusby takeout the current is vitually zip, so when the wind comes up it can actually push you up river forcing you to row against the wind.

My weekend wasn't much better, Friday I decided to go up to the Warren Bridge on hwy 191 and fish the upper Green. As I pulled off the hwy I stopped to take a leak, then got back in the truck and headed to campground #1, only to find that the dog in the back seat was missing, at that point I noticed the rear window was rolled all the way down which I never do. We spent all weekend looking for her and haven't turned up anything yet. We spread posters all over, called the Sheriff's office, the animal control folks, the local vet, even called up to Jackson in case someone traveling through saw her on the hwy and picked her up.

plecain 05-13-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 555443)
My weekend wasn't much better, Friday I decided to go up to the Warren Bridge on hwy 191 and fish the upper Green. As I pulled off the hwy I stopped to take a leak, then got back in the truck and headed to campground #1, only to find that the dog in the back seat was missing, at that point I noticed the rear window was rolled all the way down which I never do. We spent all weekend looking for her and haven't turned up anything yet. We spread posters all over, called the Sheriff's office, the animal control folks, the local vet, even called up to Jackson in case someone traveling through saw her on the hwy and picked her up.

That's awful. I lost a dog once - right out of our yard.
I looked for her for weeks without ever turning up any sign of her.

I hope you have better luck with yours.

chased 05-13-2013 11:09 AM

You guys are having some horrible luck! Wind is my mortal enemy. Aside from the ridiculous wind that Nebraska has, all has been well for me lately. Been terrorizing the bluegill.

-Chase

dwtalso 05-13-2013 01:29 PM

I had one of those good/bad days. The good part is that I fished the Pecos and caught a bunch of nice fish. I really had a nice day fishing.

However, during that nice day:

About 10:00 am the wind kicked up in the canyon fast and took my hat off before I could get to the stampede strap. So, I was churning and thrashing downstream for a bit before I could stab the thing with my wading staff. I had a damp head for the rest of the day.

Around 1:00 pm, I was working a deep hole with a lot of visible fish. I wasn't doing too bad and had put on a Bugger and a small weight because the bigger fish weren't leaving the rocks for small stuff.

I was standing in ankle-deep water when I snagged the Bugger. I shifted my weight to begin sidling upstream to free the streamer when I was suddenly falling over. A rock had snuck up to my left foot and grabbed my big toe when I moved. I tossed my rod (Orvis SFT) to the side so I wouldn't crush it and prepared to take the fall.

I got soaked but otherwise went unscathed. Now the rest of me was damp for the rest of the day.

I got to my feet and looked around for my rod. Gone. It seems I tossed it right out into the current and it had drifted away. But it was snagged when I tumbled so I shuffled downstream (warily avoiding that grabby rock) and, sure enough, at the bottom the run, my rod was laying on the rocks under the water.

Whew. Rod recovered.

Then about 1:45 the wind kicked my hat off my head again and, once more, I chased it downriver for a little ways before capturing it.

Right around 2:30 I was hiking out to try a different section of river. I straddled a large piece of LWD and I felt a "snag" on the back of calf. I hopped the rest of the way over and looked at my leg. Nothing. I reached down to probe the area and a gash opened up and started seeping blood. Not a gusher but the hole was disturbing. I broke out my first aid kit, cleaned up the area and it wasn't as bad as it looked at first. I'd torn a large flap of skin and added a deep cut, but nothing stitch-worthy.

By the end of the day, despite bandages and gauze I'd soaked my gravel guards with blood.

But, I really had a nice day fishing :).

mcnerney 05-13-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chased (Post 555462)
You guys are having some horrible luck! Wind is my mortal enemy. Aside from the ridiculous wind that Nebraska has, all has been well for me lately. Been terrorizing the bluegill.

-Chase

Chase: Speaking of wind, I used to think that Wyoming had the corner on the wind market, but in talking with JP from southern France, he goes fishing in 100 knot winds. When it gets to 160 knots he forgets the fishing. :D