The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 PM

alt1001 is on a distinguished road
Default New here and I have a question....!

I am fairly new to fly fishing and I have had my share of successes but I was a little puzzled today. I live near some very good Eastern US trout streams and being a college student, I try to get out every day I can in between work. I have seen some very good hatches so far this year and have had a lot of luck with some Para Adams, Duns, Cahills, etc. This morning I was nymphing, and although I had absolutely no surface action, the fish were crushing my strike indicator but it seemed that any dry fly I tried (especially ones I have had great success with on that stream) didn't get any action. I have never seen fish hit my indicator in the volume like they did today but not be feeding on the surface? What is the reason? Was it just curiosity? If not, any suggestions on flies? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New here and I have a question....!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Are these freshly stocked trout?
yonder likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Are these freshly stocked trout?
Not freshly but yes stocked.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

What type of indicator were you using? Welcome to the forum BTW!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
What type of indicator were you using? Welcome to the forum BTW!!
White foam
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

You could try a dry about the size of your indicator Perhaps a large caddis or stimulator pattern that is light in color, or a foam hopper and tie your nymph off the back of it. If you tie you could just attach some white foam onto a hook, if you don't see if you can superglue a hook onto the bottom of the indicator. Just be sure to tie onto the hook.
yonder likes this.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I used to have this happen with white bio-strike on hatchery supported and delayed harvest streams. Now I only use a 10 or 12 dry fly as an indicator. Maybe a foam beetle would work well also.

I was late.........I like william's answer better than mine.....

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
You could try a dry about the size of your indicator Perhaps a large caddis or stimulator pattern that is light in color, or a foam hopper and tie your nymph off the back of it. If you tie you could just attach some white foam onto a hook, if you don't see if you can superglue a hook onto the bottom of the indicator. Just be sure to tie onto the hook.
I tried the Caddis and Stimulator but didn't have any foam hoppers on hand. The hook to indicator is very intriguing though. I might give it a shot. The wild waters here in NC are much better to fish with Dries.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt1001 View Post
I tried the Caddis and Stimulator but didn't have any foam hoppers on hand. The hook to indicator is very intriguing though. I might give it a shot. The wild waters here in NC are much better to fish with Dries.
It gets even better in October and November!!!!

Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
It gets even better in October and November!!!!
I cannot wait! I got out of the military in December and learned to fly fish on the coast while I was in. I grew up in WNC but always used spinning gear, so I was very eager to get back and get back on the streams again. Now I am severely addicted. Do they have a support group for that?