The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Longevity of waders

I fish 100 -120 days a year and I am terribly hard on gear. I have done a lot of different brands, however I will never buy anything other than Simms waders. My last pair of G3's lasted 4 years before they were more patch than wader. I still have them as back ups, but the outtfitter I work for suggested I get some new ones. I got some G4's and I am not sure the price difference was worth it, but I do like them. We will see. They are on season 3 and have had one pin leak is all.

Dan

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Business Member

South Holston will become famous soon enough

I have gotten as many as three seasons out of lucky pairs of waders.[/QUOTE]

Sweetandsalt- that has been my experience.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

i got about 300 days out of my G4's before they leaked through a seam. I had a few sockeye rigs make it through the layers though. Nothing a little shoe goo wont fix. The seems that went were on the butt and the drift boat seat wore through them finally. I spend a lot of time on the oars. Thats two full guide seasons plus some fun fishing. I wear my g3 waist highs for most of my fun fishing i think they are g3 anyway they are definatly not as durable as the g4's but they are lighter, and i like that. most people cant get 300 days out of a pair of waders, this leads me to believe that storage is key, take some of the previous points with you and get a good pair of waders and they should last most people a decade.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 PM

romanl is a jewel in the roughromanl is a jewel in the roughromanl is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Orvis just came out with "sonic seam" or welded (melted) plastic with no stinkin' seams. Really, no seam thread at all in the waders. They are melted together at the factory!
A little pricey at $259, but I think they are worth every penny.
i got a pair of those when they first came out (right around same time started fly fishing) i recently moved to CO so in total i dont have that many days in them, i would guess 25-30 day maybe 35 at most, but so far i reallylike them, very light weight, pack down to very small package, breathe very well. no leaks yet.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:57 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I switched from simms to cabelas 6 years ago after swearing I would never use another wader. I had been in simms since 1992. Cabelas had these guide waders on sale for 169...so I picked them up and man what a pair of waders they have been. I really don't know anyone harder on their wading gear than myself. I am not sure who I will go with next time but I just wanted to throw the Cabelas wader into the mix because they are a company that stands behind their stuff and it almost seems like simms may make that wader for them.
Hey cochise, I bought those same pair of Cabelas Guide waders six years ago also. They have been to Montana several times, Alaska once and tons of fishing, camping and duck hunting trips here in CA. And I don't even take good care of them. I am going to cry when they eventually leak.

I have looked over Cabelas wader selection since then, and they don't appear to be the same type or make. I don't know who made them for Cabelas but they are awesome. Oh well, on the 7th year and still going strong. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:11 PM

logdog is on a distinguished road

Of the mid range waders I have always had the best luck with LL bean for the money. Simms waders are in a class of their own but you do pay for it.

chris
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty hard on my Simms G4's and am yet to have a leak. A little online searching should find reduced prices, but they are still relatively expensive. Very happy with them and would definitely recommend them.

-Chase
Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

hey 86celtics,
check out this wader shootout by yellowstone anglers. it's the most thorough reviews i've seen...albeit not 100% scientific.

i myself have a pair of patagonia rio gallageos, pricey but i'm certain they'll last a long time. i've debated about getting simms when these finally wear out...which should be years from now...

2013 Wader Shootout - Yellowstone Angler

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-15-2013, 02:09 AM

86celtics is on a distinguished road

Thanks shotgunfly, great article! I think I'm going to give Orvis' Silve Sonics a try. Not ready to drop the $ on G3's or G4's yet, but I'm sure I'll end up with them eventually. If I came home with $500 or $600 waders, my wife would...you know.....

Thanks!
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
Hey cochise, I bought those same pair of Cabelas Guide waders six years ago also. They have been to Montana several times, Alaska once and tons of fishing, camping and duck hunting trips here in CA. And I don't even take good care of them. I am going to cry when they eventually leak.

I have looked over Cabelas wader selection since then, and they don't appear to be the same type or make. I don't know who made them for Cabelas but they are awesome. Oh well, on the 7th year and still going strong. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I'm a fan of the Cabelas waders as well
Over the last 25 years I've owned 6 different pairs and never had a problem
Currently I have the dry-plus in both stocking foot and boot foot (5 years) and my non-breathable fly-weights that I use a lot are close to 20 years old