The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Longevity of waders (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/319313-longevity-waders.html)

86celtics 05-13-2013 06:41 PM

Longevity of waders

Being relatively new to the sport and never having purchased waders, I've been doing a lot of reading about the various types. I'm going to go with breathable stocking foot waders, but i can't decide on brand/model.

I see Simms' G3's are very highly regarded (and priced). I like the price of Orvis' Silver Sonic Convertibles but the reviews are mixed. I have many LL Bean products for Upland Hunting and have been very satisfied so I've looked into their new Kennebec Waders as well.

I have to say that I'm a little discouraged at the reviews I've been reading. I don't mind paying the higher premium for waders as long as I can get more than just a couple years out of them, but I read that you can only expect to get a couple years out of breathables. Is that accurate? Seems that if you only get a few years use, you might as well stay with the mid range...

I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

fredaevans 05-13-2013 06:49 PM

Re: Longevity of waders

Waders are what they are, save for Simms. All made 'off shore' that I know of. If I had to make a pick I'd look at the Dan Baileys. I've used them for close to two decades and only had one 'failure' and that was almost right out of the box. Two sets I have now (chest and mid-highs) are close to 6 or 7 years old and still going strong.

The newer one's now (bloody took them long enough to figure this out ...:mad:) don't have inside the leg seams. Major ware point just because your walking.

alt1001 05-13-2013 06:50 PM

I am fairly new to fly fishing but not trout fishing. I own a pair of Simms G3's and have for 3 years. I bought them when I was in the Military for fall and winter coastal fishing and they have never leaked. Ever! Plus, Simms customer support is the best anywhere. Spend the money, you will not regret it!

djamtime 05-13-2013 07:05 PM

I wear a pair of reddington sonic pro waders. From what I hear they are very similar to the orvis. I am extremely happy with mine.

South Holston 05-13-2013 07:10 PM

That Redington Pro Sonic is a dandy.
South Holston River Fly Shop

Rod

getya45 05-13-2013 07:20 PM

Patagoina Watermaster used them 5 times and love them.

Patagonia Watermaster Waders | Backcountry.com

alt1001 05-13-2013 07:33 PM

I'm waiting for someone to get their hands on a new pair of Dryft waders. Those things look slick and I hear they are very Arc'Teryx like. Cannot beat the price either.

86celtics 05-13-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djamtime (Post 555572)
I wear a pair of reddington sonic pro waders. From what I hear they are very similar to the orvis. I am extremely happy with mine.

How long have you been wearing those?

jaybo41 05-13-2013 09:06 PM

One of the things I've noticed over the years about waders and their longevity is that you really need to make sure you get a size that fits properly. If you get them and they are too big or too small, that can lead towards premature wear. Make sure you allow room for layers in the seasons and climate you're fishing in.

Also, consider what type of fishing you do and the things you need to go through to get to where you're fishing. If you're bushwhacking, you might want waders with more substantial layers on the legs. If you don't wade deep, you might even consider waist high waders.

When you're done with them, turn them inside out and hang them to try. Make sure the feet touch the floor so you're not stretching the seams. Then flip them and dry the outside.

Get waders from a company that you know will stand behind them. Simms, Bean, Patagonia, Orvis all seem to be pretty solid. I've used Orvis wader repair and they were excellent. Bean's Warranty is legendary, and Simms will do your first repair for free on the G3's.

Lots of guys that fish a lot own more than one pair of waders. If one pair needs to go back for service, there's another to use. Or you can alternate them to distribute wear and tear. I have Orvis Sonic Seams (not Sonic Silvers) that I use in warmer weather and they're not bad but nothing I've owned breathes better than my G3's. The Orvis Sonic Seams do pack down to next to nothing though so for travel waders they are excellent.

von behr 05-13-2013 09:09 PM

I started with a pair of Orvis Silver Labels. They were great for the blowout price of $100.

After a few years, I noticed a couple of leaks and have had to seal a few seams. I used them a lot, so I'm not complaining. Last year, I decided to go for it and got the G3 Guide from Simms. Let's just say there's a huge difference in quality and materials.

The Simms waders are pricey, but they are pure quality and made in Montana.