The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree78Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm so tired of getting ripped off!

What the heck? These sort of conversations normally pop up during the winter months. The initial response was somewhat opinionated and could probably have used a little more tact, but it still deserves a response.
Walmart's tackle sales isn't what makes or breaks it's financial statement. Of course they sell stuff cheaper. I always walk through the fishing isle when I'm there, I buy some generic items like hooks and bobbers for the kids, line, some lures if they catch my eye.
A fly shop owner or tackleshop feeds his family selling only tackle, I expect to pay a bit more. In exchange I get personalized service, tips on current hatches or the saltwater bite. I make friends there, they remember my name and I even get an urgent text when there's a bite on. The selection isn't always ideal, but the advise is priceless. I go out of my way to spend money in local shops, hopefully it keeps them around.
fysh, JoJer, fredaevans and 2 others like this.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Someone finally hit the nail on the head.
Quote:
Us companies further the problem by try to make shareholders happy by pushing out costs and making supernormal profits all for short term gain
This is what pushed the economy to the brink of colapse and it ain't over yet boys so hold on for a ruff ride.

I tend to not buy China or at Walmart but sometimes there is just no option. Walmart does have good customer service. You can return anything for any reason to Walmart. There are many retailers that will not do that. I recently got ****ed at Radio Shack for $60 and I will never buy anything there again. I quit buying at Sears 20 years ago over similar issues. K-Mart the same. I won't even walk thru thier stores.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
What the heck? These sort of conversations normally pop up during the winter months.
LOL! Yeah, it was cold and windy the last couple days and I was upset with my Frog Hair Fluorocarbon tippet. I got the 6X, and they must have put 1X in that spool! My fault? I purchased for $20 and at WalMart I picked up much better, thinner, 5X for $1.96.

No more WalMart posts from me! It's 80 outside and I'm heading out for some 3wt Bluegill fun.

PS - Almost all of the local fly shops in central PA went out of business ..... I used to buy there all the time. I'm going to check out craft stores? I'm pretty sure that WalMart has some crafts in the super stores?

Tight Lines
Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Rick......as for craft stores, check out Michael's and Hobby Lobby, if they are in your area. Also browse through the "dollar stores" for various items. You never know what you will find.......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

If you can't find it lacally, there is always on line fly shops.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the thing about the free market, no company is safe including Walmart. They are getting big time competition from Amazon.

The internet has allowed small merchants to compete with large stores. Fly shops are a great example. Cabela's is no threat if a fly shop can offer better service and advice over the internet and capture sales that would have gone to a big box store. I would bet that Blue Ribbon Flies West Yellowstone sells way more over the internet than at their small fly shop. And we are the better for it.
imxer and quimby like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

For my brothers wedding gift, I purchased him a Orvis Hydros reel, and got his wife a separate gift. This is by far the most expensive reel I have ever purchased, it still came with a predominate (made in china) tag on the box. Lol, before I handed it over, I took a marker, and cleverly scribbled it out. Not sure why, It was just something I had to do.

The reason I decided to purchase him the reel, is that a few months before the wedding his new future father in law un-expectedly gifted him a very nice Orvis rod (the father in law is not even a fisherman, he just new my brother was). I just figured now that's he's married, I was now his last chance at him having a nice setup for some period of time. I felt it would be a true shame if he did not have an equivalent reel to match the new rod.

It prompted me to make this post on another board

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I just wanted to post a initial review, as it's probably the last time I will be handling a reel of this price. I purchased this reel as a wedding gift for a groom, and wanted to snap a few pics while its still in my possession.

I'll say its definitely a nice reel, and I hope it serves the groom well. He would have never purchased himself anything like this, and I'm happy to be able to be able to purchase it for him as a memorable gift.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can see the fit and finish is very nice, and the drag also feels Fantastic. With that being said, I do think its over priced. I do not see it as a huge step up from my Lamson Konic despite the price difference.

Now just for fun, I want to post it side by side with one of those cheap e-bay reels. Note: I'm not trying to compare the two reels, I just thought it would be interesting to see them side by side just so people could see how far those cheap reels have come in the last few years. Keep in mind one is a few hundred dollars less expensive than the other.

The eBay reel is about one size larger and would make a decent budget 8wt, it has a larger line capacity and weighs in at 6.01oz. The Hydros is for a 6wt and weighs in at 5.57 oz on my scale. It has a much better feeling sealed drag, and I am sure this fact alone will allow it to hold up much better, and with less maintenance over the long hull.

I have to admight, I was a little shocked to see some similar parts used in both reels. They use a nearly Identical anti reverse bearing, probably the exact same counter weight. The cheap reels handle is actually a little nicer being that it is machined out of aluminum, The Hydros handle is plastic. Both reels spin freely without even a hint of play.

The Orvis reel is obviously much nicer in its machine work, finish, appearance, and drag. To conclude, I will end this review by saying there is no way $200+ should be separating these two reels in cost. The Orvis, is really nice and I can appreciate its functionality, and beauty.

After handling it, I can also say that I do feel a lot more confident in the quality of the few Chinese eBay fly reels I have purchased, I do believe that they represent a true bargain in the fly fishing world.

I tried to be as objective as possible in this review.

Edit: So now the next time the guy out fishes me, I already have my built in "valid" excuse all planned out! :twisted:
"

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
I'm going to assume that you are a very young man, possibly a guy that just took his first economics class and now has it ALL FIGURED OUT!

Chinese manufacturing is NOT better quality that what we manufacture here in the US, in fact it is EXACTLY the opposite. China offers cheap labor, and that is their ONLY value driver. Can China manufacture to Western standards? YES – provided that a fully staffed Quality Assurance team is imported to oversee the production on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. And these folks want to live a Western lifestyle while they're stranded there as well. This all costs $$$ yes, but sadly all those costs in addition to ocean freight still allows companies to lower their costs and it all comes down to the cost of labor.

The reason I say you must be a youngster, is because it seems like you can't remember when the quality of normal household items was a lot better. Decades of Chinese (and other LCC) sourcing has lowered our expectations. US companies have been forced to cut corners and try to lower their costs to compete. US companies seem to be falling into this "niche" market for people that want to pay more for higher quality… and there is nothing wrong with that last part by the way.

I don't know a polite way of saying that this statement is simply a load of ****. They may be severely over-worked and underpaid by global standards, but tortured? Sounds like a tall tale (and I'm sure there are dozens if not hundreds of members on this site that have spent time in China on business that will tell you the same).

OK, I'm all for freedom of speech and all (something you WOULD NOT HAVE IN CHINA by the way). But this is beyond insulting, way off base… a broad-stroked, ill-advised opinion, and quite frankly, you owe a huge apology to EVERYONE on this board that works for a living in the United States of America.

And for a communist-sympathizer to complain about spending a few bucks on nippers that will last a few years, and then drop two (2) bills on "arguably" the least concerning piece of equipment on a fly rod set-up? You could have spent less than $50 on a reel and had the best gold-plated nippers on the planet!

I do agree with you that common USA produced goods were produced at a much higher quality several years ago. In just my lifetime I have countless examples to provide. Electric garage door openers, wash machines / driers, lawnmowers ect. My house was built in the 40's, and many of the appliances I use are dated. Things used to be built to last, now they are built to replace.

What I disagree with is that Chinese manufactures are unable to produce quality products. We now live in a global economy, I believe they have the capability to produce what ever the market dictates.

Most the consumers in this country, now want the cheap stuff. China has filled that nitch. Unforchantly, there just giving the average consumer what is being asked. This is now what America asks for!

Since they manufacture so much, They can also produce relatively comparable products, at a lower cost. They now have the infrastructure in place to out compete us $ per $, I do not see this as a positive for our nation going forward.

On a side note, one of my good high school friends is very successful, and now only purchases the best of the best. Right around the time I purchased my 2nd house (vintage 40's era) about 6 years ago, he built a 1.8 million dollar estate.

He filled it with the nicest appliances he could find, and already had to replace his washer, one of the two air conditioners, a garage door motor, and I think I might have missed a few things. I'm still having success with my vintage appliances. The one and only thing that I can remember going out on me is my water heater, and that was fairly new in age to begin with.

When I purchased my first house in the early 90's, My dad purchased a new lawn mower, and gave me his old one as a house warming gift. That lawn mower he gave me outlasted his next 2 replacements. We still laugh about that to this day every time a newer one call it quits.

Honestly, I love the vintage items. In my opinion, Its difficult to find the same same craftsmanship, regardless of the country of origin, or price paid. The true masters in the craft of engineering, are now becoming rare.
shortyb likes this.

Last edited by charged; 05-15-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

It's much easier to produce items inexpensively when you can simply steal a design instead of investing in R&D.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I don't see how my post applies, as both reels were produced in china. The US needs to put laws in place that protect internal manufacturing. Obviously what ever laws they have currently in place are not working. We need higher taxes placed on imported goods to encourage manufacturing. Right now big corporations do not have the incentives needed to stay domestic.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Deleted.
Not worth it. Carry-on.

Last edited by dean_mt; 05-15-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Closed Thread