The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree78Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 01:30 AM

tromak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I'm so tired of getting ripped off!

I can't believe what you're saying man that's crazy Im not all into American made, I'm just into quality. When you compare wall marts cheapest tippet or whatever to orvis's of course your going to see discrepancies. I suggest you do some strength test with your favorite knots and I think you will probably see what you are paying for. I mean I pay 25.00 a spool for fc sniper which is made in Japan and I have no qualms saying its the strongest fluorocarbon on the market. I'm talking knot strength, abrasion resistance, diameter. Sunline makes it and its great an American brand is going to have to prove itself. My point is I can get this line at the large corporations for 20.00 a spool but I get it from the local places under the assumption that keeping that money in my area gives it a better chance of working its way back to me.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm not sure whether Rick was pulling our collective leg with a tongue in cheek post or being serious. However I did draw some interesting data from this thread.

Please bear with me to see if I make sense.

Other than long running threads like 'What Have You Been Tying Today' and the word games threads; the highest 'View Count' on the current posts board is the thread, "acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt."

That thread started on February 10 of this year and after almost 95 days it has 1948 views right now. It also has 37 replies to the thread.

When we get a thread with a title like "I'm so tired of getting ripped off!" the thread has 630 views & 30 replies in a little over 24 hours!

So what's my point?

Why are we so attracted to any threads that smack of some sort of complaint?

Why should a post about casting take 3 months to gather 37 replies and one that sounds like a complaint gather 30 in just a single day?

I'm just looking at numbers and they strike me as odd.

I am not casting aspersions on Rick for the thread, or its content, he has the right to tell us what he thinks. I'm just taken aback by the way we respond as a whole to this type topic compared to others.
fysh and tromak like this.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:29 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Sounds like the old newspaper aphorism - if it bleeds, it leads.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Go fishing folks
Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Why should a post about casting take 3 months to gather 37 replies and one that sounds like a complaint gather 30 in just a single day?
I'm just looking at numbers and they strike me as odd.
I'd say that it's pretty apparent that a good number of people here take the gear that they fish with extremely seriously. There's no end of threads comparing "this reel to that reel" or "what rod should I buy".
Then a thread like this pops up comparing "affordable vs. high end" or "my gear is more patriotic than your gear" and people get defensive.
Nobody is willing to hear that they spent their money in less than ideal manner. They'll defend their decisions to the end and there won't be many willing to change their position or even think about it.

In my opinion, we are gear obsessed here and actual talk of fly fishing come in a distant second.

A quick keyword search of the forums ...

"Orvis CFO"... 213 hits
"reach cast".... 42 hits

"Sage One".... 326 hits
"pocket water".... 169 hits

"Allen Trout" reel.... 272 hits
"tail out".... 29 hits
littledavid123 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

You ever research how detrimental Wal-Mart has been to not only the quality of goods, but the local economies they do business in...

If you were educated on the manner, you would realize why...

Not bashing you, but do yourself a favor and research the realities of Wal-Mart...
dean_mt likes this.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I've only skimmed the posts in here but good lord does this remind me of the infamous Abel nipper thread
Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I've only skimmed the posts in here but good lord does this remind me of the infamous Abel nipper thread
Wait, what? Abel makes a nipper? What colors does it come in? How much is it? LMAO
Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'm not sure whether Rick was pulling our collective leg with a tongue in cheek post or being serious.
I was being serious, Hardy!

I mentioned that I paid $800 for my Helios fly rod. Fly fishing is my passion, and I'll spend whatever I have to with fly tackle. I first went to the two closest Orvis fly shops (and both didn't have a 3wt at 8'4" in Mid Flex) so I ordered online from Orvis. Wonderful company, even at 2am someone gets right back to you and they put the backing on the reel and ship right away!

I did purchase Frog Hair flouro 6X tippet (the wrong label was on, the line was super thick) ..... first time ever, I'm sure I could have exchanged it for a real 6X? Gander Mountain closed early on Sunday, so I went to WalMart (open 24 hrs) and picked up the tippet and nippers!

I was just "yappin" about the price difference. I wasn't trying to get the dealers angry!

I probably already have a lifetime supply of fly tie stuff, but like Nick suggested, I'll check out the craft stores next time.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just my personal observation(s) but there's so much equipment out there (good, marginal and bad) that testing the water before you buy is darned helpful. Worse yet with fly rods; almost impossible to test drive one before you buy.

So you rely heavily on other peoples observations (good and bad) before you pull out your cheque book.

fae