The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree78Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm so tired of getting ripped off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Can China manufacture to Western standards? YES –
Not on everything. They have not got fly lines down yet, but I'm sure they are working on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Someone finally hit the nail on the head.

quote:Us companies further the problem by try to make shareholders happy by pushing out costs and making supernormal profits all for short term gain

This is what pushed the economy to the brink of colapse and it ain't over yet boys so hold on for a ruff ride.
Not only did it not hit the nail on the head, it missed the board the nail was in. If you remember this recession, for the first few weeks, was called the Subprime Morgage Meltdown. That was till the press figured out who caused it and they never called it that again, despite the fact the clues to the real culprit was and still is in their original name. They have done a fantastic job of rewritting history and blurring the facts. Try doing some actual research because what the press does is more fiction than truth these days.

One last note. In the 2001 budget request, the president at the time said that there needed to be a grip gotten on what Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were doing because and I quote, "A collapse of either Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac would have devastating consquences to both the stock market and the economy." Both collapsed.

If you doubt it, I can break out the Cspan video.

Last edited by Guest1; 05-16-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:13 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I started using a pair of nippers bought at a drug store years ago. I did this because I kept losing the Orvis nippers and the Zinger that they were attached to. The zingers either had clips or pin clasps to attach to jacket. I think I had lost 4 of them at a total of around 100 dollars for the zinger & nipper combo's. The 3.99 stainless steel jobs from Walgreen's have a black cotton neck lanyard that you wear and let the nipper hang either inside or out of fishing jacket.

3 or 4 years running and I haven't lost the tool and it's still sharp. It's not as 'cool' as the one with the Orvis logo on the zinger but I haven't lost it either.

I'm happy with some things regardless who made them or where.

Ard
Hey Ard,
My zinger is a cheepo Cabela's bottom end with a pin-on attachment. I pinned it to the inside of my vest, made a hole just big enough to get the end through and attached my nipper. I was only trying to reduce the snaggy stuff that catches line from the outside of my vest, but it sounds like this might cure your lost nipper problem, too.
John
Hardyreels likes this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
I don't see how my post applies, as both reels were produced in china. The US needs to put laws in place that protect internal manufacturing. Obviously what ever laws they have currently in place are not working. We need higher taxes placed on imported goods to encourage manufacturing. Right now big corporations do not have the incentives needed to stay domestic.
I for one do not want that. Increasing taxes (tariffs) on imports will raise the welfare of domestic producers, but will also increase the cost of domestic products and decrease the welfare of domestic consumers.
runningfish likes this.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Increasing the import tariffs will make the Walmartians out of beer and undies. You don't want that to happen.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:42 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Not only did it not hit the nail on the head, it missed the board the nail was in. If you remember this recession, for the first few weeks, was called the Subprime Morgage Meltdown. That was till the press figured out who caused it and they never called it that again, despite the fact the clues to the real culprit was and still is in their original name. They have done a fantastic job of rewritting history and blurring the facts. Try doing some actual research because what the press does is more fiction than truth these days.

One last note. In the 2001 budget request, the president at the time said that there needed to be a grip gotten on what Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were doing because and I quote, "A collapse of either Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac would have devastating consquences to both the stock market and the economy." Both collapsed.

If you doubt it, I can break out the Cspan video.
I agree. US manufacturing corporations had nothing to do with the last recession which was caused by a financial system meltdown and had nothing to do with manufacturing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_mortgage_crisis

In fact the causes of the financial meltdown go back across both democratic and republican presidencies and administrations.

As you will see, it had very little to do with corporations wanting to increase dividends for stockholders. Rather it was individuals who wanted big Wall Street bonuses, individuals who wanted bonuses for selling mortgages, individuals who wanted a commission for selling CDOs, individuals who wanted to own a home they could not afford, individuals who wanted to flip real estate, and individual politicians who wanted to be re-elected.

The fault lies with our own government that encouraged banks to loan money to poorer and higher risk individuals. They wanted to make home ownership universal which of course it cannot be.

Secondly, the fault lies with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, two government housing lenders that made risky loans because the government and Barney Frank ( Democrat - Mass), Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, wanted them to make housing more affordable.

Thirdly, the fault lies with the mortgage lenders like Country Wide that got rich collected fees for originating mortgages that folks could not afford.

Fourthly, the fault lies with the folks that signed on to Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARMs) that they did not understand. Who signs a mortgage without doing due diligence? Ignorant people that meet dishonest people.

Fifthly, the fault lies with greedy Wall Street Investment firms that packaged these risky mortgages and sold them as CDOs (Collateralized Debt Obligations).

Sixthly, the fault lies with in insurance companies that like AGI that insured these CDO's so they had the appearance of safe investments. AGI wanted to collect the insurance fees and they collapsed when they did not have enough reserves to cover their obligation to insure these CDOs.

Seventhly, the fault lies with greedy real estate investors and regular folks who bought into the concept that they could flip a house and make gobs of money because housing prices continued to rise. They bought into the greater fool theory.

What is true is that what caused the crisis is greed on the part of individuals, investment companies, banks, mortgage lenders, government, and politicians (greed in the sense they felt they could get the votes of poor people by making mortgages available).

This led to TARP, the government bailout which has been successful in preventing a financial meltdown. I am a fiscal conservative but I was in favor of TARP. It has been a great success. For a cost of 15 billion dollars we avoided a depression (418 - 405 billion dollars). If we can collect another $15 billion of the loans we made, TARP Will have cost the US taxpayer nothing.

"As of December 31, 2012, the Treasury had received over $405 billion in total cash back on TARP investments, equaling nearly 97 percent of the $418 billion disbursed under the program."

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

This thread became annoying a couple of pages ago.

[Large Self Edit]
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
"tail out".... 29 hits
This must be a site about fishing if "tail out" ONLY gets 29 hits! ;-)

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-16-2013, 11:59 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Ya know, this is about one of the last places i want to see political stuff. I comes to a place like this to get away from it. Can it stop now?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I hear that!

It seems that everyone except those who steer the threads toward some sort of geo or national political dogma seem to tire of it very quickly. When the thread gets reported it brings out the forum .Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. .Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Then the next thing you know the thread has to close.......................................
Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I agree. US manufacturing corporations had nothing to do with the last recession which was caused by a financial system meltdown and had nothing to do with manufacturing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_mortgage_crisis

In fact the causes of the financial meltdown go back across both democratic and republican presidencies and administrations.
That's not what most people believe unfortunately because they have been spoon fed a bunch of fictional nonsense.

I guess we have left the information age and entered the misinformation age. At least we get our misinformation at high speed huh?
Closed Thread