The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   I'm so tired of getting ripped off! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/319446-im-so-tired-getting-ripped-off.html)

rickf 05-15-2013 01:09 AM

I'm so tired of getting ripped off!

First, let me qualify this by saying that I fish with a Orvis Helios (a $800 rod) and a Orvis Large Arbor reel ($200) and I have a "top shelf" pontoon and waders? I've lost my mind and pay "big bucks" for my fly stuff!

But ........ I picked up a few items at WalMart today:

Line Snippers - WalMart $3.56 (Orvis is $12.95 or $19.95, and Orvis doesn't have the eye opener peg?)

Leader 5X - WalMart $1.96 (Orvis is $4.25 ..... for the cheapest)

Tippet spool - WalMart $1.96 (Orvis is $4.50 .... also for the cheapest, I always used to get the Frog Hair Flouro for $20)

I realize that the WalMart stuff is made in China, but so are all the things in fly shops! And the China quality is so much better than the junk we make in the US!

I get Orvis, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, and Bass Pro catalogs almost every week ....... but from here on out, I'm a WalMart boy!

I used to like to support the local fly shops, but most have gone out of business and they never had what I wanted to buy anyway!

Strange Days are Here!

newby 05-15-2013 01:15 AM

Re: I'm so tired of getting ripped off!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickf (Post 555996)
And the China quality is so much better than the junk we make in the US!

You had me until here.

rickf 05-15-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newby (Post 555998)
You had me until here.

If one of those China young girls made something bad ....... they would get their hands chopped off or maybe beat with a whip!

Here, in America, we have fat lazy stupid workers who will spit in your food if they get the chance!

I know that Orvis has "home based" craftsmen who make the world's best rods (but for a premium price) I don't mind ........ my Helios is wonderful, and I'm glad the builder made a good wage while making it!

Edit: Please disregard what I said about Orvis!

Four times I broke my Superfine 1wt, and Orvis fixed it for free with no questions asked. It's the best customer service in the world! I was just ranting about the cheap clippers in WalMart?

I love my Helios ........ I would have gladly paid $1000 for that rod!

Sorry for the rant ....... it's late. I caught 100 big Bluegills today with my Orvis stuff ...... no prob?
What I was complaining about is: All the clippers are made in China (probably the same factory) but Orvis charges four times as much as WalMart!

newby 05-15-2013 02:17 AM

Orvis charges for the name that's for sure. No doubt some of their products are better values than others. I just wish my local walmart had fly fishing things period.

Hardyreels 05-15-2013 04:10 AM

I started using a pair of nippers bought at a drug store years ago. I did this because I kept losing the Orvis nippers and the Zinger that they were attached to. The zingers either had clips or pin clasps to attach to jacket. I think I had lost 4 of them at a total of around 100 dollars for the zinger & nipper combo's. The 3.99 stainless steel jobs from Walgreen's have a black cotton neck lanyard that you wear and let the nipper hang either inside or out of fishing jacket.

3 or 4 years running and I haven't lost the tool and it's still sharp. It's not as 'cool' as the one with the Orvis logo on the zinger but I haven't lost it either.

I'm happy with some things regardless who made them or where.

Ard

noreaster 05-15-2013 04:53 AM

I try to use the local fly shop for as much as possible. But the owner has told me me that its hard to make any real money with fly tying supplies. He makes all his money selling guns and ammo and spin fishing tackle, which is sold at a premium. So he rarely has the stuff I want in stock. It doesn't seem to be a priority when it comes to fly tying supplies. So I have to scrounge stuff where ever I can find it. This includes Walmart, Canadian Tire, Fabricville, Micheal's Craft Store, Valu Village, Flea market, Drug stores, and anywhere else. I don't have the luxury of an Orvis or Cabela's or Bass Pro's within a thousand miles of me. So it's kinda like McGyver'ing around here. Have to stay creative and industrious. If it works its good for me.

fly_guy12955 05-15-2013 05:48 AM

I got a pair of Walmart 'nippers'...wasn't worth throwing away.

Eddie O'Neill 05-15-2013 05:53 AM

We should always get value for our money. :rolleyes:
Buy cheap, buy twice:)

Liphookedau 05-15-2013 09:01 AM

rickf.
I know what you are saying everything over here is nearly Double are in The States in some cases More.
I have bought Flylines in The US mainly on Ebay from about $30 to $60 for Top Quality Lines & they are around $100 over here.
We Like The US are being Flooded with Cheap Chinese Rubbish also lots are selling Chinese Made Reels Double The Price what They can be bought for in China.
I know I bought one off Ebay from The UK & paid $50 AD then I Googled The Maker's name & found where I could buy it for $22 AD.
Also Fly Tying Materials I Paid $2.25 for 15 m Spool of Tinsel then at Christmas I bought Exactly the same Tinsel in Christmas Decorations & for $2 I ended up with enough to last me a Lifetime.
Brian

stenacron 05-15-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

And the China quality is so much better than the junk we make in the US!

I'm going to assume that you are a very young man, possibly a guy that just took his first economics class and now has it ALL FIGURED OUT! :rolleyes:

Chinese manufacturing is NOT better quality that what we manufacture here in the US, in fact it is EXACTLY the opposite. China offers cheap labor, and that is their ONLY value driver. Can China manufacture to Western standards? YES – provided that a fully staffed Quality Assurance team is imported to oversee the production on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. And these folks want to live a Western lifestyle while they're stranded there as well. This all costs $$$ yes, but sadly all those costs in addition to ocean freight still allows companies to lower their costs and it all comes down to the cost of labor.

The reason I say you must be a youngster, is because it seems like you can't remember when the quality of normal household items was a lot better. Decades of Chinese (and other LCC) sourcing has lowered our expectations. US companies have been forced to cut corners and try to lower their costs to compete. US companies seem to be falling into this "niche" market for people that want to pay more for higher quality… and there is nothing wrong with that last part by the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickf (Post 556002)

If one of those China young girls made something bad ....... they would get their hands chopped off or maybe beat with a whip!

I don't know a polite way of saying that this statement is simply a load of ****. They may be severely over-worked and underpaid by global standards, but tortured? Sounds like a tall tale (and I'm sure there are dozens if not hundreds of members on this site that have spent time in China on business that will tell you the same).

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickf (Post 556002)

Here, in America, we have fat lazy stupid workers who will spit in your food if they get the chance!

OK, I'm all for freedom of speech and all (something you WOULD NOT HAVE IN CHINA by the way). But this is beyond insulting, way off base… a broad-stroked, ill-advised opinion, and quite frankly, you owe a huge apology to EVERYONE on this board that works for a living in the United States of America. :mad:

Quote:

…and a Orvis Large Arbor reel ($200)…

And for a communist-sympathizer to complain about spending a few bucks on nippers that will last a few years, and then drop two (2) bills on "arguably" the least concerning piece of equipment on a fly rod set-up? You could have spent less than $50 on a reel and had the best gold-plated nippers on the planet!