The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Shop Needed

WANTED: an enterprising person with good business sense willing to open a fly shop in my town! Here is the problem... I have to order everything where I live OR head to Wal-Mart/Kmart, and they don't exactly have all of what I need. I ran out of 4x floro the other day and I had to drive all the way to Utah to find some (almost 3 hours). I just drool when I walk in those shops with all their pretty new patterns, gear, and enthusiastic employees wanting to sell me stuff. A place to hang out and talk fishing,get a cup of coffee, put pictures on a wall, recruit new anglers, hold classes…all that stuff. I grew up with a version of this in Minnesota. As a kid I loved the smell of bait shops, the talk of the older fishermen I Idolized, and the sound of the minnow tank sprayers. I want a fly fishing version of that in my town. It blows me away that we have no fly shop here in Green River or Rock Springs since between the 2 towns we have a population of like 30,000 (I guess it goes to show how low the percentage of the population is the fly fishes). There have been a few shops over the years (one of which did become a fisherman’s hang out for a couple years and it was great!) but they all went belly up. We have some of the best fly fishing around - no joke! - but all the locals here are obsessed with kokanee salmon and lake trout on Flaming Gorge and forget the rivers and streams in the area (not to mention the lake itself) are a great place for the long rod. I love my town and don't want too much to change here...but I sure would love to see a fly shop open up and stay in business! I can't do it...I have no experience and no resources. So how about it folks! SW Wyoming is calling you!!!

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: Fly Shop Needed

WANTED: an enterprising bulldozer owner that is looking to clear some land. Please start by deforesting the area around a pond/lake/river within 15 miles of me.

Seriously, there's NO open water here in eastern MA. It's a constant struggle for back cast room or accessible water, and I normally lose.
parsond likes this.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Here's the problem with fly shops... People who fish own them... And soon realize that they'd rather fish than sell fishing stuff to fishermen that are going fishing. Sure you grew up in Minnesota... But unless you lived in the DA you'd also be familiar with the lack of a fly shop in a heavily fly fished area of Minnesota..

Personally I don't mind shopping online.. Forums provide the "old man" banter... And online shops provide cheaper prices more often than not that no shop within 200mi of me could offer
Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road

I get all that...I just wish there was someplace to get some basic supplies as needed and talk fishing a bit.

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
WANTED: an enterprising bulldozer owner that is looking to clear some land. Please start by deforesting the area around a pond/lake/river within 15 miles of me.

Seriously, there's NO open water here in eastern MA. It's a constant struggle for back cast room or accessible water, and I normally lose.
Add access points to that.

I grew up in Western MA, the Berkshires and then spent a large portion of my life in the Happy Valley. I am now sort of stuck in SE MA without a lot of travel time and at a loss. Am seriously considering an ultra light and "flures". (Flies with heavy enough clouser eyes / lead / beads to make them castable.)

Fly shops are few and far between and good fly shops are even more dispersed. I have come to accept that.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Personally I don't mind shopping online.. Forums provide the "old man" banter... And online shops provide cheaper prices more often than not that no shop within 200mi of me could offer
Careful, is that a typo? Click the image to open in full size.

Some of us have very gray hair here and we provide banter buy the bucketfuls

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2013, 11:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsond View Post
WANTED: an enterprising person with good business sense willing to open a fly shop in my town! Here is the problem...
Don't feel bad. San Jose, California, doesn't have a fly shop. The South Bay region population is well over one million. It has one of the largest fly fishing clubs in the nation.

I take that back. There is an Orvis shop in San Jose. But that doesn't really count.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
WANTED:
there's NO open water here in eastern MA. It's a constant struggle for back cast room or accessible water, and I normally lose.
Nick,

That's a good thing, dude! You said you have a float tube, so take it with you when you go fishing.

If there was easy access, the fish would decrease big time! The only reason I catch so many is because I fish where the shore people can't go!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:00 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Guess Im spoiled! there are 2 fly shops near me. One is 5 minutes away and one 10 minutes. You can have the one thats 5 minutes away , rather do without then go to him , maybe someone can talk him into moving to Wyoming! And with less of a customer base he may realize that it pays to treat customers right!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-16-2013, 07:19 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Nick,

That's a good thing, dude! You said you have a float tube, so take it with you when you go fishing.

If there was easy access, the fish would decrease big time! The only reason I catch so many is because I fish where the shore people can't go!
Not as easy as it sounds, sadly. Even finding an area to launch a float tube, or finding a decent body of stillwater that's not in a residential backyard can be next to impossible.

The google map image below is all the spots I've fished and want to fish in my area (there's more outside of this screenshot areas as well). The blue markers are places I've been, and the red ones are potential places. Sadly most of the red markers have just about no access or are on private land, so they will never become blue markers.

The weeds also come in in the summers here, making many of the ponds/lakes impossible to access via tube.

Click the image to open in full size.