The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Fly fishing in Korea? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/319498-fly-fishing-korea.html)

stimpy v2 05-15-2013 02:57 PM

Fly fishing in Korea?

I'll be in Seoul Korea by July 4th. Any one know what species are there and what combo i should go with? (Weight,rod length, flies etc) I'm clueless but i really want to go fishing while I'm there. Any help us appreciated

Sent from my laser beam.

bigjim5589 05-15-2013 03:12 PM

Re: Fly fishing in Korea?

There are Largemouth bass in Korea. I have a friend in Korea who is a LM bass angler. He does some fly fishing, but primarily fishes for bass with conventional tackle. He's on the Pro staff of one of their big fishing tackle manufacturers & fishes tournaments. Not sure how close to Seoul he lives.

fredaevans 05-15-2013 03:48 PM

Hell of it is all the really good places are north of the 38'th parallel. :eek:

Just Kidding!

planettrout 05-15-2013 06:17 PM

Cherry Trout...

CherryTrout.com

Gangwon Province, Taeback Mountains...

More:

Cold War Trout: Fly Fishing the Korean DMZ Borderlands | MidCurrent

Use a Bukcheon Spider...a soft hackle developed by Allen McGee for those Cherry Trout...

PT/TB ;)

innes 05-16-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpy v2 (Post 556182)
I'll be in Seoul Korea by July 4th. Any one know what species are there and what combo i should go with? (Weight,rod length, flies etc) I'm clueless but i really want to go fishing while I'm there. Any help us appreciated

Sent from my laser beam.

I lived in Seoul for the previous three years and fly fished all over the peninsula. The closest fishing to Seoul is for carp but that's in the Han River estuaries and it's not healthy. If you have a car I suggest heading east to the Odichon or Nurichon rivers and fish for Lenok. Or go to Pyongtek and fish for LMB. Recommend not going on Sundays because traffic gets really bad; turns a normal two hour trip into five hours. If you’re not used to driving in Asia I recommend hiring a guide because they know the area and can translate.
My best recommendation is to visit the River Fly Shop just outside of the Yongsan US Army base in Seoul. There's a guide there who can take you out for day trips, gives casting lessons or just pour over a map with you. I would buy flies and gear from him so advice was always accurate and free.
How long will you be in Seoul? If only for a short time I highly recommend hiring the River Fly Guide. There are also other fly shops and guides available in Seoul. Tonight I'll send you a link to my blog with all the links, info and pics.
If you’re in the market for a new rod then Korea is the place for you. You can buy imitation rods cheap. The Spider Fly Shop has tables full of rods for 40,000 won each.
As for gear. I always used my 8’6’ 5wt Helios or 4wt Loop rods fishing for trout and Lenok. Take your typical dry and wet fly assortment and you’ll be fine. My best Lenok flies were pink Parachute Adams, Light Cahills, Griffith’s Gnats, Elk Hair Caddis. I also had good luck with droppers tied to Black Wooly Buggers.
Wish I were going with you. I got a map with all my favorite fishing spots. I miss that place.
I’ll send more info tonight. I’m Kandahar so timing is way off. SF.

Hardyreels 05-16-2013 12:08 AM

I knew Innes would find this post :)

Great info! You be careful buddy,

Ard

stimpy v2 05-16-2013 12:39 AM

Thanks so much, Hell yeah. I'll be there for a year maybe more who knows. Any info you can send me would be great. And i will definitely take a guide. Thanks much.

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk 2

innes 05-16-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpy v2 (Post 556362)
Thanks so much, Hell yeah. I'll be there for a year maybe more who knows. Any info you can send me would be great. And i will definitely take a guide. Thanks much.

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk 2

If you're going to be there for a year or more I recommend getting a detailed map of the peninsula so you can plot the fishing spots. Buy it in the US because english versions are minimal in Korea unless you order them. Use a guide for the first couple of trips until you figure out the routes then you can explore from there. The Odichon and Nurichon were my favorite rivers because I always caught fish there. I spent a lot of time in those rivers fishing, drinking scotch or Soju and smoking my pipe. My blog also has links to all the FF shops in Seoul. I used to visit them just to make friends, buy flies and garner knowledge. I also recommend the Rainbow Fly Shop which is ran by a couple of Korean women. They're very good guides and have a well stocked shop.

If you have any questions at all let me know.

cowpokey 05-17-2013 08:58 PM

Innes, I'd like to see a map of some spots too. :worthy:

Stimpy V2, I'm a little south of where you're going...I'm not a city guy, I avoid Seoul like the plague. I'm always willing to head east to the mountains though, beautiful over there. Streams all over the place. ;)

innes 05-17-2013 11:17 PM

I'll see what I can do. I'm in Afghanistan and my Korean atlas is at home in Alexandria. I'll try and access some online maps and send you coordinates or some type of directions. SF