The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By swirlchaser
  • 1 Post By alexs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 05:51 PM

dagumer is on a distinguished road
Default Cork handle filler falling out

The filler material on the cork handle on my dear old 5wt has started to fell out. I actually kind of like the aged look that it gives to my rod, but in some places the handle has fissures of about 5/100 of an inch (a little over 1 mm) deep. I was wondering if these fissures will result in damage to the cork it self.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cork handle filler falling out

Dagummit,

I hate when that happens! Based on your user name I had to say that before I offered an answer.

If you are into dunking the rod handle or you fish a lot in all day rain, I suspect that the grip may become loose once the water has time to work on the bond between grip and blank.

I have read many posts here about the best way to make a repair to this. Most I believe involve sawdust and wood glue mixed into a slurry and then worked into the grip to fill the voids. Then a light sanding to remove excess filler back down to the cork.

I have never filled a grip so you better wait for some of our rod & grip builders to reply. What I said is what I think I remember from past threads.

Ard

PS. I quote this from Diver Dan from another thread: "The best thing I have ever found for fill, and I have tried them all, is Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler. Indoor/Outdoor in Golden Oak."
imxer and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2013, 06:33 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I generally use cork dust and wood glue. A wine cork and some 100grit sandpaper will do. If you don't have any cork laying around the Elmer's filler works just fine.
Click the image to open in full size.
jaybo41 and rchouser12 like this.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I generally use cork dust and wood glue. A wine cork and some 100grit sandpaper will do. If you don't have any cork laying around the Elmer's filler works just fine.
Click the image to open in full size.
That's a good suggestion to use a wine cork, I hadn't thought of that. I have always gone right to the wood filler and it has worked well enough for me.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

You might want to put some cork sealer on after you fill it.
Some like the feel of the sealed cork; some don't.
I like both the look and feel of the cork after it's been sealed.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 AM

dagumer is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much to all for the advise, I will try the Elmer's wood filler
Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 PM

alexs will become famous soon enough

I prefer Cork + Glue and I select a wine cork that has the same color as the handle. Be careful when sanding the filling material because it is possible to sand into the handle (the handle cork is softer than the filler material and the sandpaper will bite more in the handle (been there, done that). I now use a hard sanding block with 220 grit sandpaper stuck to it and sand the filler in a circular motion (following the contour of the handle).Finish off with a couple of strokes of fine sandpaper held in your palm. Go slowly and check often; it only takes a couple of strokes to screw it up (gauge the handle).
Good luck.

Alex
Hardyreels likes this.