The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 AM
bait cutter

jagermeister is on a distinguished road
Default Wader size help needed

I'm ready to buy my first pair of waders and my dilemma is there are no local stores that sell Simms or Patagonia. I know I need a medium but my concern is the sock size. I wear a 9-9.5 shoe and the Simms size chart says 9-11. Anyone else have this issue? Do the Patagonia have a better sock option closer to my actual shoe size? I'm looking at g3 g4 and rio gals
Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wader size help needed

Wait, you wear a 9-9.5. Simms' waders fit a 9-11. What exactly is the issue here?
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 AM

rockriv is on a distinguished road

Simms makes customs if your interested. I have a difficult time fitting waders as well. Im 6 foot 6 and about 220lbs with 13 foot. Simms is the way to go with tons of different sizes. I like the patagonias but in my case their large longs only have up to size 12 booties? odd i thought. So back to it...simms makes custom booties if thats something your interested in. but i think youll be fine in a 9-11 booty. consider what will be on your feet prior to going into booties. (a liner sock then a heavy wool sock over top regardless of temperature)

also you could call simms. ive dealt with their customer services a few times. very helpful and knowledgeable. they will guide you into the right size booty.
jaybo41 and jagermeister like this.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

You don't want an exact fit on the neoprene sock/footy . you need room to wear thick socks underneath, especially if your in cold water.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Wader size help needed

Darwin nailed it.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 AM
bait cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
Wait, you wear a 9-9.5. Simms' waders fit a 9-11. What exactly is the issue here?

Thanks for replies fellas and poke if you comprehended my question this will be my "first pair of waders" period. I wear a 9.5 work boot so why would I buy a size 11 instead? Yeah it will fit but not what I would call optimal. On the other hand guys that have been wearing waders of the 9-11 size with 9.5 foot don't have any issues that's what I would like to get feedback on.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 cents:

What you need to do is first look at the size guides for each specific model of wader for Patagonia and Simms. Both have similar size offerings but can vary by model you're considering. They're usually something like Regular, Long, Short & King.

Determine the best size that fits your measurements and concern yourself with the foot last. Given that you're a 9.5, you can pretty safely say with a liner and or thick sock, you'll be at least a 10. When these booties are too tight, your foot will usually be colder AND it makes it more of a challenge to get your foot out of the bootie. Just about every reputable wader brand that I know of offers boots in a size RANGE.

The overall fit of your boot, inseam, chest, waist are more important factors to giving you a good fitting boot than the bootie itself. A better fit generally leads to wader longevity. That's not to say you should be swimming in your bootie either, but you don't want it to be a nearly precise fit like you would size your street shoes either.

Another suggestion: Call Simms and Patagonia and talk to their customer service folks about sizes and options. As was mentioned Simms can produce a different bootie for some additional $$$ if you really want that.
jagermeister likes this.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 PM
bait cutter

Thanks for the great replies fellas, I made some calls read a bunch of reviews. I decided to go with the Rio Gallegos med regs. I will leave feedback on fit in a couple days. Med regs seem to be the most popular size everywhere sold out.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Add just a touch to the following:

"Determine the best size that fits your measurements and concern yourself with the foot last. Given that you're a 9.5, you can pretty safely say with a liner and or thick sock, you'll be at least a 10. When these booties are too tight, your foot will usually be colder AND it makes it more of a challenge to get your foot out of the bootie. Just about every reputable wader brand that I know of offers boots in a size RANGE."

You'll also find you'll need boots at least two sizes OVER your street shoes. Plenty of toe wiggle room is an absolute 'must.' Like any 'shoe' never buy them if you can't try them on first. Obviously take your waders and the socks you expect to ware with you.

Fred
jaybo41 and jagermeister like this.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM
bait cutter

^^^good advice thank you. I feel better about the high range being a 10 with the pats rather than 11 with Simms.