The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By innes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 2 Post By Poke 'Em

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default articulated flies in multiple fly, catch and release areas?

that was an awful title i just couldn't think of anything else to call it. so i was wondering if someone could clear up this grey area for me. i primarily fish an area in arkansas with special regulations. the sign at the entrance reads:

"trout must be released immediately. artificial lures with single, barbless hooks only. natural or scented bait prohibited."

So what exactly is a lure with a single hook? i know that in a lot of the arkansas tail waters just recently adopted a rule in their catch and release areas that allows anglers to use multiple flies and articulated streamers. but I'm not sure about this specific area. so looking at these regulations, would you think that i could use articulated streamers and tandem nymphing rigs?

thanks for the help,
scott
Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: articulated flies in multiple fly, catch and release areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
So what exactly is a lure with a single hook?
It usually comes near closing time after you've had a few. She's usually the one at the end of the bar who six drinks ago was gawd awfull but now,... it's ok. Thus the lure with a single hook.

Your welcome.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my 2 cents:

A question like this can mean have different interpretations, and even different interpretations between Fish & Game WCO's. Here in PA I have heard of guys getting fines for things that other WCO's may have not taken objection to. While we might have someone with enough insight into the Arkansas Fish & Game regulations to answer the question, it might best be answered by them.

Why not try to contact them to see what their definition of "single barbless hook" really means?

This way, once you have their official response on it, you have a means to CYA if a WCO would perhaps fine you for not adhering to his interpretation of the rules.

Or take the path of least resistance and make sure you're fishing flies in those special regs areas with one single barbless hook.

FWIW, I'd interpret that as treble or double hooks are not permitted and literally one hook on your fly. But what do I know about fishing regs in Arkansas?

Most of the articulated flies I own and fish with have only one hook on them. While I might use a shank to get the head/body of the fly completed, I cut the hook off so there is only one hook--on the tail.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That regulation is all about treble hooks, but I would think that a fly with more than one hook would be seen as similar.
I know that in fly only waters that allow multiple flies, the flies have to be separate.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:33 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

The reg is all about treble hooks. That doesn't mean you can fish an articulated fly without cutting the hook off the back shank. I would look in the definitions portions of your reg book and see what the definition of a hook is in your state. In Alaska you can run articulated flies in single hook only areas because the definition of a hook makes it so that one with a straight shank only wouldn't be considered a hook. Running a dropper rig is not legal under my Regs. Single hook means single hook. People do get in trouble trying to run droppers here.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Here in MD we have similar regs, and "single hook" means "single point". This mean trebles, doubles or flies with more than one hook incorporated into the fly are not legal. However, it does not mean multiple flies cannot be used, but there is a regulation that limits the number of hooks to 2. So, two single hook flies are legal as long as they're separated as Rip Tide suggested.

I would have to agree too with jaybo, contact the folks who enforce the laws & get their interpretation, in writing!

Or, stick with the one, single hook, barbless fly & not worry about the gray area.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

It seems pretty straightforward to me. If the regs says "single barbless hook," and you have two barbless hooks, you don't meet the regs. Cut the point off the front hook, and it's no longer a hook.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

In NH, the rules distinguish between 'hooks' and 'points'.

A treble hook is one 'hook'; it has three 'points'.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

"Common hook" means any hook or multiple hooks having a common shank. All
hooks attached to a manufactured artificial lure shall be considered a common hook.

That is from the CDOW 2013 fishing regs book found here

I have personally interpreted that sign to mean no treble hooks. I have used tandem or even triple nymph rigs all over the Ark depending on where I fish. I also use several articulated streamers, some times tandem, but my front hook on all mine is cut off only leaving the stinger.

Randy