The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 AM

DaFrogMan is on a distinguished road
Default Tips on choosing rod?

Hello, I am new to the forum but have been lurking and reading posts for a while. I am wondering if you guys can help me to pick an appropriate rod weight for my intended uses.

I live in Iowa, and started fly fishing after a vacation in CO. I enjoy fly fishing the trout streams here with my 5wt. For a long time, I have thought about getting a heavier weight outfit to fish for larger game (bass, pike, wipers, catfish, etc) on lakes and rivers. I often fish out of a kayak on lakes and large rivers, so I am usually pretty low to the water, but sometimes I get brave and stand up for longer casts.

I have been looking around for quite some time and I have my choice pretty much narrowed down to a TFO TiCr with Orvis battenkill mid arbor. Would a 9wt be appropriate?

I know a lot of people suggest 8wt for bass, but I want something that can cast bulky flies occasionally and handle a good pike even though I don't fish for them as often. I also want something that can handle wind and river fishing, and getting good distance casts is important to me so I figured 9wt would be good. I realize that this will be a little bit of an overkill for some situations, but is there a huge disadvantage to being one line weight heavy?

Any suggestions and thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Aaron
Old 01-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tips on choosing rod?

For the species you're after, either a 8 or 9 would be a good choice. Here's the two criteria I would use to base your decision on:

1. The 9 will do a bit better at throwing bulky flies, so if you're frequently going to be flinging flies the size of a sparrow, that would be the best bet.

2. The 9 will be noticeably more of an effort to cast all day, and could be quite tough on a shoulder if you're not halfway burly/casting it wisely.

Also, a 10 is better still at flinging the jumbo flies, so you might be better off to get an 8 and then a 10 down the road.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 AM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Rod action comes into play along with the wt. I've played with several configurations in the 6, 8 and 10 wt class fishing for bass on medium sized lakes in central and southern California. Wind conditions on my local lake put me to the test on a regular basis. The best rod (given my casting style) that I've found for throwing heavy bass flies while still maintaining the feel of a fly rod rather than a telephone poll, is my (old) 8wt lamiglass. It has sufficient backbone and handles bass in the 5-6lb class with no problem. I can't speak for the pike as I've not had the pleasure of catching one.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I probably won't be throwing anything larger than a large bass popper or weighted clouser too often. So an 8wt would suffice, but we go out to some good pike territory at least once or twice a year, so I wanted something that could handle pike every once in a while.

I know that will be a little tougher to cast all day - but I don't often go out and fish all day. And I figured that maybe it wouldn't be so bad as long as I got some good line so I didn't have to false cast as much (maybe rio grand, or airflo extreme distance).

Would these lines be good for shooting and distance casting, yet still be able to handle a large, bulky fly every once and a while?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Getting a good line will definitely help you shoot line better, but developing a strong double haul will do still more. The standard one of these would be a good choice- Rajeff Sports - Airflo Flylines, Echo Rods, lots of fly-fishing advice

If you're going to be needing to make accurate and shorter casts, something like a bass bug line would likley be a better choice.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:22 AM

Can you get good distance out of the multitip lines? I know that hinging used to be and issue, but from reading product descriptions, it seems like that's not so much of an issue anymore.

I have heard good things about the rio versi tip with floating clouser head and several sinking heads - but I haven't seen any articles relating these to distance casts.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I got to jump in with, you can probably land a PIKE with even a 6wt. It is all in how you do it, so with that I am going to say an 8 wt will be plenty.
The multi tip is a great choice if you only have one reel.
I bought a 10' 8wt a while back for Muskie and Steelhead. I don't fish them that often so I can't justify a reel and spools of different lines. So I went with a BBS V with Orvis Multi Tip lines. The tips are 15' long add a leader to that so maybe 25' out from the rod....trust me you are going to be out much farther and the hinging isn't noticeable.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:14 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I got to jump in with, you can probably land a PIKE with even a 6wt. It is all in how you do it, so with that I am going to say an 8 wt will be plenty.
The multi tip is a great choice if you only have one reel.
I bought a 10' 8wt a while back for Muskie and Steelhead. I don't fish them that often so I can't justify a reel and spools of different lines. So I went with a BBS V with Orvis Multi Tip lines. The tips are 15' long add a leader to that so maybe 25' out from the rod....trust me you are going to be out much farther and the hinging isn't noticeable.
I'll second that ...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:53 PM

Maybe I could get the 8wt which would be better for the majority of my fishing, then just overline it with 9wt line when I want to cast really big flies. How much distance do you loose by overlining?

Would an 8wt line be able to turn over a waterlogged 6" bunny fly, or would I have to overline it with 9wt to do so?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am not big on over lining, but I did do it on my 8wt. I have no problems casting a goo 70', but I am not sitting in a canoe. The 10' rod helps a lot and the fact it is so light really helps.