Furled Leaders

trouton

Reaction score
I know that there is a thread that was started by the CutThroat Leader Co. but I wanted to inquire from the general membership if anyone who has tried this product can give their 2¢ worth.
Thanks in advance,
Roger

rickf

Reaction score
I use them, and they are great! but I really like a regular loop leader better.

I like a tippet ring (check Google, they are popular in UK) and you can Uni or Clinch a new tippet in a couple seconds without making the leader shorter.

williamhj

Reaction score
I use them and love them. Easy to cast, turn over flies well, easy to change tippet sizes, and can last a season or longer.

Are you familiar with furled leaders and asking about the Cutthroats leaders or wondering about furled leaders in general?

Reactions: Ard

trouton

Reaction score
I use them and love them. Easy to cast, turn over flies well, easy to change tippet sizes, and can last a season or longer.

Are you familiar with furled leaders and asking about the Cutthroats leaders or wondering about furled leaders in general?
Sorry, I should have clarified my question. I had looked at the product that CTL offers online for while now and just last night ordered some of the furled leaders from them. I too like the idea of using the tippet ring and not continuously shortening my leader as I make fly changes stream side. I order two of each size, one to fit my 3wt rod and one to fit my 5wt rod. I hike with the wife in the CO Rockies and fish some highland lakes and streams with the 3wt using 18 - 22 size dry flys and bigger CO and WY rivers with the 5wt. We are spending four weeks in CO this summer and two more this fall, so I will give them a try. Thanks to all of you who have responded and good luck on the fly!
Roger

popperhopper

Reaction score
I just got mine in from Cutthroat Leader Co. Very nice craftmanship. I ordered two of the spring promotion setups with tippet ring. Plus some more floatant.

Cant sling them out just yet because of the coming thunderstorm.....but these look they will do quite nicely.
I was worries about the tippet ring to be honest. But seeing them in person has swayed my thinking on them.

Will give a report after I get them wet. So far I am liking what I am seeing.
Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

trouton

Reaction score
I just got mine in from Cutthroat Leader Co. Very nice craftmanship. I ordered two of the spring promotion setups with tippet ring. Plus some more floatant.

Cant sling them out just yet because of the coming thunderstorm.....but these look they will do quite nicely.
I was worries about the tippet ring to be honest. But seeing them in person has swayed my thinking on them.

Will give a report after I get them wet. So far I am liking what I am seeing.
Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for the input popperhopper. I and many more look forward to your next report after you set a few hooks.
Roger

JoJer

Reaction score
I use the Cutthroat Leaders. I have both nymph and dry fly leaders. Really like 'em. Great turnover, great sink on the nymphs. Great customer service. Really like the tippet rings.

rccola712

Reaction score
Do any of you switch between nymphing and dries with the same furled leader? The ability to do this has been my one question mark in buying furled leaders? I really enjoy the ability to switch from nymphing to dries with a typical leader.

williamhj

Reaction score
Yes I do. I coat the furled leader with floatant paste and switch between dries and nymphs with no problems. This means that the end of the furled leader is on the surface and I have enough tippet to get my flies down. The furled leader either serves as my indicator or the indicator is below it on the tippet. I find the switch very easy to make. I usually use the same tippet for both but on rare occasion have run 4x to a heavy fly and 6x to a trailer then if I switch to dries I might switch the whole thing to 5x or 6x.

You can fish them without the floatant so they sink if you want but would be tough to switch to dries since the floatant wouldn't help until the leader dried. Also Cutthroat sells some with indicators built in. I bought one but haven't tried it yet, look forward to it though!

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Just as William said.

I coat my furled leader with floatant, use a fluorocarbon tippet and nymph away with my indicator (if I use one) below the furled leader.

When I wanna go to dries,,,I clip the wet/nymph tippet, tie on a mono tippet and I've gone dry fly faster than Matt Dillons fast draw.

I can't see me ever going away from furled leaders.

darwin

Reaction score
Just as William said.

I coat my furled leader with floatant, use a fluorocarbon tippet and nymph away with my indicator (if I use one) below the furled leader.

When I wanna go to dries,,,I clip the wet/nymph tippet, tie on a mono tippet and I've gone dry fly faster than Matt Dillons fast draw.

I can't see me ever going away from furled leaders.
+1 Same for me ;)

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Do any of you switch between nymphing and dries with the same furled leader? The ability to do this has been my one question mark in buying furled leaders? I really enjoy the ability to switch from nymphing to dries with a typical leader.
Many fly fishers want one leader that will do everything for them. Meaning, fish dries and nymphs without changing the leader. I personally change the leader or the rod for different conditions, but I know many that do not. The one thing to keep in mind when switching from a dry to a nymph is that nymphing typically utilizes heavier tippet material. If you tie on 3x to a dry fly leader that is designed for 5x, 6x, 7x, you could break the leader if you get snagged on a rock or get caught on a tree/bush, etc. With thread leaders, upsizing to the next weight class is not a bad idea if you are going to use only one leader all season. If you use a 7-8 wt leader on a 5wt rod, the leader will have a much higher breaking point than that of a 4-5-6 wt dry fly leader. Our nymph leaders are made with more material so a 4-5-6 nymph leader is much stronger than a4-5-6 dry fly leader which is made for 5x, 6x, 7x tippet. Just something to keep in mind when using/buying furled leaders. Because furled leaders have loops, they make changing the leader very easy. Unlike tapered leaders which are difficult to change and re-package, furled leaders can be put on and taken off with ease.

trouton

Reaction score
Good to hear all of your experiences and questions that have popped up from my original post. All comments have been helpful and appreciated. I wanted to add today that I had the opportunity to call and talk with Mike at CTL and he was very helpful and willing to spend time discussing his product. I could tell that Mike was excited about his product and personally experienced in the use of the furled leaders as well. I am looking forward to getting my order in and then wetting a line.
Roger

webrx

Reaction score
I have fished Joni's furled for dries, and she also makes a kevlar one for nymphs and it works well also. I found that for me, and it is probably just me, and lord knows I am no expert, I like furled when fishing dries, but prefer to go to a standard tapered leader or straight 8 or 10 wt mono with a flouro tippet for nymphs and heavier flies like buggers. I am not worried about rolling a big nymph or bugger over, so the leader is not as critical, but, again for me, I can't seem to get the same feel and set with a furled when fishing subsurface.

Dave

cattech89

Reaction score
I have tried both Cutthroat's and Joni's leaders. No need to get into a discussion on who likes who better.
I prefer to fish all furl all the time and feel like a fish out of water if I don't. :D pun intended :D
I utilize the method Cutthroat mentioned of having two leaders on hand. If I'm fishing top water I use a leader that I've saturated with a floatant such as Loon Payette. Rides nice and high. I've found that a leader that I have not saturated with floatant will become water logged after a little bit of use and will sink adequately. Adding a Kevlar thread, as mentioned before, gives even more assistance for getting down quickly.

Everyone has their own opinion, but for me, furled is the only way to go. I hope you enjoy your experience.

oarfish

Reaction score
I don’t know why I waited so long to try furled leaders maybe I’m to old school but now that I’ve started for me there great. My original order was just for a few and with great surprise found that CTL had added a extra leader at no cost to me.

Rick