The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Ever hear a CRASH and do a what the hell?

Mixed up Hummer food (1/2 cup of sugar to 2 cups of water) and filled/put out same. Rinsed out the measuring cup and back to work (computer). 15 minutes later a huge CRASH in the kitchen.

No idea how/why but a heck of a lot of glass to sweep up.

Last edited by fredaevans; 05-20-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ever hear a CRASH and do a what the hell?

That was the hummers rejecting your weak mix. 4-1 is what we use here.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough

My guess is that water was under the glass as alloed it to "hover" off the counter

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
mikel likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

who ya gonna call ?

Ghost BUSTERS
caseywise likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Humming Birds!

It's been going on 10 years now since I had Humming Birds to feed. You remind me that I miss them Fred.................

2 days ago the first Robins showed up out back, just in time for the last snow of the season I hope. Not a whole lot of variety here during summer in the back yard but a short walk to the wet lands and there are more variety of warbler than I can identify.

Out at the cabin it's a birder's dream, maybe I'll start a list on species this year and try to sort them out.
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

paranormal activity

ARFE
Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

We've had the Broad-Tailed hummers here for a few weeks. They arrive early so they can have a few weeks of relative peace before the Rufous show up. Then the hummingbird wars commence. Great entertainment..
Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

We have had the ruby throated hummingbirds here for about two weeks now......talk about fights around the juicer..........entertaining for sure......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
The mix is dependent on how often you want them to come back to the feeder. The higher the sugar content, the less they need to visit. If the weather is cold/wet up goes the sugar ration. But the 4 - 1 (or close) is my usual. In the early season I'll even go to 3.5 - 1.

But 1/2 cup of sugar to 2 cups of water is still your basic 4-1 for a feeder. Which reminds me, (Memo to Self) I need to trim back a rose bush so I can watch same better.

End game is every week you want to really dump/scrub out a feeder.

Did so today and in the back yard Finch feeder .... earwig's ... tons of the damned things! Euuuugh! Even the Hummer feeder had one in the bloody thing, not to mention ants.

Last edited by fredaevans; 05-20-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 AM

brianrap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Yup, 4:1 is what is recommended. Those little entertainers need a lot of sugar energy to keep performing.