The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Stupid Question about filling a reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/3199-stupid-question-about-filling-reel.html)

Jakeway 01-31-2008 09:47 AM

Stupid Question about filling a reel

Why are fly lines packaged the way they are, and what is the proper way to get the line from the package to the reel?

Invariably when I do it the line gets terribly tangled. It isn't spooled tightly enough to come of the package spool properly, the spool often comes apart, and if I lay the line loops on the floor to unwind like a spinning reel, it still comes out in tangled loops.

Are those fancy line holder/spooler rigs necessary to do it properly?

BigCliff 01-31-2008 10:17 AM

Re: Stupid Question about filling a reel

The spools are set up to work fairly well when using a spooling machine to load a reel, but I could see how it could cause problems when one doesn't have one to use.

I would recommend you figure out a way to have the supplied spool that comes with the line (after you've removed the twistys/pipe cleaner bits from the line) to revolve on a pencil or something like that that is clamped in a fixed position. (a black-and-decker workmate would be real handy for this)

The line may spin within the spool, or the spool may rotate along with the line that is being unrolled. Either of these two options are fine, but you do not want the line to become tight and start to dig down into the spool. You will want tension on the line as it goes onto the reel, but apply this with the hand you are using to hold the rod between the logo and stripping guide.

Loading it like a spinning reel will not work for the same reason that loading a baitcasting reel from a horizontally positioned spool won't work.

Hope that's all comprehendable, good luck!

Silver Doc 02-01-2008 02:07 AM

Good question. You really need a spooling machine. There are several on the market and always come in handy when you want to tale the line off. Before I got ine I had some fantastic tangles that took hours to untangle. Worth the price of addmission. Doc

Curtis 02-02-2008 12:52 AM

I like to take it all off the spool before putting it on my reel. Seems there is always twisting if I dont do this first. I just pull it off the spool while walking around the house and laying it out in a line on the floor then walk back the way I came after attaching to the reel while winding it back on.

fyshstykr 02-02-2008 01:49 AM

I do it the same way as Curtis.
Another thing I do, is "very gently" stretch the line.

shorthaul 02-02-2008 08:08 AM

I've done the pencil trick between my knees (always interesting) and strip the line off onto the floor (and fought the cat back to my desk) but i use a hand crank line winder now.

Fly2Fish 02-02-2008 11:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Doc (Post 20064)
. . . You really need a spooling machine. There are several on the market and always come in handy when you want to tale the line off. Before I got ine I had some fantastic tangles that took hours to untangle. Worth the price of addmission. Doc

I'm with Doc. After turning what should have been a minor project into a major snarl by unwinding line all over the yard, I too bought a line winder (the Reel-E-Good Line Winder from Cabela's - image below). The extra empty spools this comes with are really helpful for storing line either temporarily or long-term. It also comes with a spool you can take apart in case you want to dispose of the line you've taken off. However, it's nice to have a line winder handy on a long-distance fly-fishing trip for contingencies, and this one is a bit bulky for that.

Would be interested in anyone else's experiences with a particular line winder model and how well it would travel.

Joni 02-02-2008 09:28 PM

I have that winder in the picture. GREAT TOOL.
But even when loading reels at the store, at times people would bring in a different brand (Cortland comes to mind) where the spool comes apart real easy and then you are in trouble. I had to lay line out through the store on more than one occasion because of this.
I agree with Curtis if you don't have the winder. But put your reel on a rod (just the handle section) and reel in with that. Easier to hold plus guide the line.
Funny cause I had that very problem this evening. Just bought some 444 Clear Camo.

shorthaul 02-02-2008 11:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
heres a pic of my manual one---it collapses and packs nicely---it will over run if you get going too fast

Fly2Fish 02-02-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni (Post 20172)
. . . when loading reels at the store, at times people would bring in a different brand (Cortland comes to mind) where the spool comes apart real easy and then you are in trouble. I had to lay line out through the store on more than one occasion because of this. . .

Joni, if you're referring to the spool that Cortland line comes on, I agree - they're impossible to keep together, always coming apart at just the wrong time.