The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 10:16 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fish alone or with friends?

I lost my best friend and fishing pard Barry almost 2 years ago (he died to cancer August 15th) He put up with me for 21 years. I am so greatful we got to be young men together. What amazing adventures we had, we fished together all over the country and he lived with me for a couple years after my divorce. Anyway, I like to fish alone now. I go with people and enjoy them, especially My buddies Bill, Tom, and Shane, and my wife Beth (who looks a whole lot prettier slinging line out of the front of my boat then my crusty old buddies)- but its still not the same. Once in a while I release a trout and quietly whisper "That one was for you brother". My wife and friends seem to get it.

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I personally think there three categories. All three have a place in my fishing adventures.
1). With family:
I have a young family so I take my children with me on short trips to the local water. Some of our best family outings have revolved around fishing. But those of us with small children know that is a totally different experience than fishing with friends…. Unless your friends need helps with knots and releasing fish…. Ha, ha, ha
2).With Friends:
Normally makes for a great trip, shared memories and few beers. Depending on the friend, you have to cater how aggressive you fish. Meaning, limit your bush-whacking, maybe not climb down that steep embankment, etc, The best part of fishing with friends is that you can re-live the trip / fish with them. I have a few stories that often pop up while sitting around the campfire…. They normally include fishing with good friends.

3). Alone:
I do my best fishing while alone. No one else to worry about. No pressure to land the first/biggest fish. Even though most of say we are not into competitive fishing, my belief is that most guys keep a mental note of how many fish they have netted. When I fish alone, I honestly do not care. The cast, the deer across the river, the sunset, etc all stick with me more than the numbers/size of fish caught. I find that I cast much less and watch the water much more when fishing alone… anyone else.
parsond and busbus like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 AM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

It's not a social thing for me, but rather a healing thing. I fish alone except for a couple times a year when my dear wife comes with me. My hearing is profoundly bad and despite wearing two hearing aids I cannot always understand what a person is saying. There is something about fishing alone that is beyond special. Those of you who do it know what I am saying.
I also have an inner ear disease which has affected my balance and I get ill from it. Can't go in a boat and sometimes waves on the pond and the current in the river set into vertigo. So I am not much of a companion. But even if I was healthy I would most often fish alone. It is an intense and gentle experience and I cherish each fishing moment. I almost have to fish alone. BUT I will gladly fish with you. I surely will.
Paul
cattech89, parsond, busbus and 1 others like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
I personally think there three categories. All three have a place in my fishing adventures.
1). With family:
I have a young family so I take my children with me on short trips to the local water. Some of our best family outings have revolved around fishing. But those of us with small children know that is a totally different experience than fishing with friends…. Unless your friends need helps with knots and releasing fish…. Ha, ha, ha
2).With Friends:
Normally makes for a great trip, shared memories and few beers. Depending on the friend, you have to cater how aggressive you fish. Meaning, limit your bush-whacking, maybe not climb down that steep embankment, etc, The best part of fishing with friends is that you can re-live the trip / fish with them. I have a few stories that often pop up while sitting around the campfire…. They normally include fishing with good friends.

3). Alone:
I do my best fishing while alone. No one else to worry about. No pressure to land the first/biggest fish. Even though most of say we are not into competitive fishing, my belief is that most guys keep a mental note of how many fish they have netted. When I fish alone, I honestly do not care. The cast, the deer across the river, the sunset, etc all stick with me more than the numbers/size of fish caught. I find that I cast much less and watch the water much more when fishing alone… anyone else.

You nailed it. However, I have only really gone fly fishing with an older gentleman twice. I met another REALLY old guy who lives near me 60 miles away on a stream one day. We plan on going fishing sometime soon. I am going to, um, "use" these two guys because both have forgotten way more than I may ever know. I also talked to both of them and they both sort of think like me: it is the experience and not the amount of fish you catch.

In fact, the second time I went with the first guy, he caught a trout on his second cast. Then he sat and said he was going to wait to see me catch my first trout. And he did!

But I have gone out with my spinning rod with a number of people and, UGH!!!

I did love goin out with my daugher. It was worth it. She would only use worms and only worms that DAD put on the hook. And she never, ever took the fish off the hook. But, cast-for-cast, she caught more fish than anybody I ever knew. Then she turned 16 and fishing was out the door.

I am now trying to get my son to go out with me. He went when he was really young but a bluegill sucked up his hook all the way thru it's eye and he was so distraught that he never went fishing again--that was about 13-14 years ago. He is 21 now and said he would go with me a few times. I can't wait.

My wife? I think she would rather die than to even see a fish dangling on the line. I am sure if I brought her into a stream and she saw trout swimming around, she would first say it then do it (if you know what I mean).

So I lied when I said I do not like going with people...my family is different...as long as my son doesn't get his line all tangled up like he did whenever he was six or seven!

I like the memories, especially the ones with my daughter and when the older guy sat and waited for me to catch a trout, but he ones I remember way, way more are the ones where I am alone.

Oh, and, yes, if I fish with another guy, I can remember who "won" each time we went out. I can remember that junk but cannot remember that I am supposed to pick up a gallon of milk for my wife whenever I go get gas....go figure.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fish alone or with friends?

Both.

I've had the benefit of having my best friend as a fishing partner for somewhere between 15-20 years. Our styles of fishing just mesh so when I'm fishing with him it just works.

I have a few other friends who like to fish but aren't at the committed level that I am. I enjoy getting those guys out on the water to help them improve and spend time with them, but it's a different experience than fishing with my best bud. One guy I get out with has been a friend for years, he's had marginal success. One day we were out together and I noticed some caddis coming off. I gave him a fly I had tied the night before, told him to tie it on and instructed him where to cast it. He proceeded to catch his first trout on a dry fly, and then another, and another, and well you get the idea. The smile on his face was priceless.

Fishing alone is good by me to, I've met some good folks on the stream and fished with them for a day or two, exchanged flies, tips, etc. Some days I don't see anyone and that works for me too.

I've figured out that for me, getting out there and doing it is where it's at. The scenery, the smell of fresh air, vegetation, the sounds of the stream. I don't need to land tons of fish--although landing more of them does make it fun. Making the best of whatever comes my way that day is what I try and focus on.

Another good post bus!
parsond likes this.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I think 'alone' or 'with someone' has more to do with how close you're together while fishing. Fish with someone frequently, but we'll normally be 50 or more yards apart on the beach.

One of us will reel in and walk up/down the beach and we'll chat for a few minutes. I like that.
jaybo41, parsond and yonder like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM

cuffer is on a distinguished road

My friends and family prefer that I fish alone.
rockthief and busbus like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I pretty much fish alone and prefer it that way. "Friends" interfere with the time I want to go or how long I stay. Sometimes, when they can, my daughter and or son in law will go with me, I don't mind them because they usually go when I want and stay as long as I want.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:45 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

If I'm fishing heavy water I really do feel better going with someone else, that being said, there's something about fishing by yourself that seems to just really relax me, all your troubles seem to disappear.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:49 PM

zum will become famous soon enough

99% of the time by myself as well.
Nice to see I'm not alone,I'll have to let my wife read this post to prove that I'm not the only crazy person.
Not having to worry about another person and whether they are hungry,tired,bored,cold,etc...I think that's the major reason for me(sometimes I can stay alittle long)
After a long days/weeks work,nothing relaxes me more then a few hours fishing.
Watching my kids play sports is a close second but hearing the coaching from the sidelines,nut job,crazy and superstar kid parents/spectators ,takes it toll.
parsond and busbus like this.