The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 03:20 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fish alone or with friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum View Post
99% of the time by myself as well.
Nice to see I'm not alone,I'll have to let my wife read this post to prove that I'm not the only crazy person.
Not having to worry about another person and whether they are hungry,tired,bored,cold,etc...I think that's the major reason for me(sometimes I can stay alittle long)
After a long days/weeks work,nothing relaxes me more then a few hours fishing.
Watching my kids play sports is a close second but hearing the coaching from the sidelines,nut job,crazy and superstar kid parents/spectators ,takes it toll.
My wife thinks I am nuts, too. I went out once this past December in the pouring rain. It rained for five days in a row non-stop. I was fishing two of those days. It was great!!!! Caught the biggest trout I ever caught...and nobody was around to see. Oh, well. But she thought I was the goofiest person alive.

I tend to stay (too) long, as well. I love it whenever I am out there and go all over the place. I don't realize how much I worked muscles I don't normally use until the next day. But I am totally relaxed whenever I come back home after fishing for a while.

As far as the nut job coaches and dads, well, I took care of that whenever I decided to either help coach or did the coaching myself. If I were lucky enough to be the head coach, I knew there wouldn't be any yelling because I refuse to yell at kids because, well, they are kids! And that was true even though I was coaching my son's baseball team whenever he was 17-years-old. Found out that the kids perform much better without all the drama.

Now, the parents.....different story if you are the coach. That part was the hard part but you cannot imagine how much LESS you hear in the dugout or on the bench and are away from the crowd.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM

depenner will become famous soon enough

I came to fishing just a few years ago in my early 50's. I've always been more of a loner than a joiner, so I fish alone. Actually, I only know one other person that fishes more than once or twice a year. But he's into the "biggest bass; total weight" approach to fishing and isn't always the easiest person to spend time with

I like getting out by myself to see if I can put into practice what I've been reading/watching/learning. I do like to catch, but it really isn't a bad day if I just get to be outside--seeing something new or maybe finally figuring out the single-handed snap-t cast I've been working on.

david
busbus likes this.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by depenner View Post
I came to fishing just a few years ago in my early 50's. I've always been more of a loner than a joiner, so I fish alone. Actually, I only know one other person that fishes more than once or twice a year. But he's into the "biggest bass; total weight" approach to fishing and isn't always the easiest person to spend time with

I like getting out by myself to see if I can put into practice what I've been reading/watching/learning. I do like to catch, but it really isn't a bad day if I just get to be outside--seeing something new or maybe finally figuring out the single-handed snap-t cast I've been working on.

david
David, You would exactly like me! I am 53 and only started fly fishing last year. Be careful, it is addicting!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

It's safe to say that fishing is one of those activities that can make brothers of enemies and vise versa.

Of all the banter while fishing I prefer the kind that isn't about fishing, because usually when it's about fishing it's either "I'm having a crappy day..." or "Let me show you how to fish that.." It's time like that I wish I were alone.

I much prefer fishing with my brothers, who are just now finding the time to fly fish. We just tap into childhood memories and fishing is the last thing we talk about.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Holston View Post
I've had 3 good fishing partners over the years. But now fishing alone is just fine. It is very seldom you find someone who likes to do things the way you do.
I think that finding a like-minded fishing partner might be as difficult as choosing the proper life partner.
Beside my dad, over the years I've had 3 good fishing partners. One rarely fishes anymore due to his carple tunnel and another drown while duck hunting.
The third guy and I have been fishing together since 1969 and we've been friends since first grade. We don't normally hang out, just fish together a few times a years.
After all that time we know each others habits pretty well. You're lucky if you have someone like that.
We'll be headed off on our annual spring trip in a couple weeks. Really looking forward to it.

Click the image to open in full size.
caseywise and South Holston like this.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Lots of great replies...

Fishing alone is awesome for peace, focus, losing yourself in it, so to speak.

Not everyone enjoys this, but for the past few years my friends and I have sometimes fished one rod between us....taking turns at a piece of water. Clearly this is a case of wanting to show up your buddy and generally there are beers on the line. It's fun with the right guy(s) to have a little competition and having others watching you launch flies into the willows on a missed hook set.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Lately I have been fishing with others. Most of my fishing buddies are very well experienced. Some are newbies. I just like the company.

I only have one rule when it comes to having fishing partners. Don't be late. That drives me nuts.

Dennis

PS: Only if I could find a fishing partner who looks like Charlize Theron...
Old 05-21-2013, 03:27 PM

depenner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
David, You would exactly like me! I am 53 and only started fly fishing last year. Be careful, it is addicting!!!

Yeah, I've also come to that realization. This is my 4th year at it. Good thing my wife doesn't go into the basement very often--she probably thinks I have fewer rods than I really do. Although, most are old fiberglass and not that expensive (I really enjoy using glass; seems to suit my casting stroke better than graphite).

david
Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

I would have to say that I am blessed to have some great fishing friends. It can be a frustrating having to deal with them at times, waiting on them, wanting to call an early day, etc, but what is so great is once on the water you would never know each other was around if you didn't see them. While fishing we give ample room between each other, don't converse, wade slowly and quietly, and give the occasional thumbs up for landing a fish or making sure your ok after falling in the water. So once on the water, there is not really a difference with fishing alone or with others. Fishing alone is great, you do as you please without rush, criticism, or whining. Fishing with others can be great for the shared experience.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
And I'm in the same boat with you both.
53 yrs old. Dabbled a bit in '10/'11 but really just started getting serious last year. REALLY looking forward to this year!
For the most part I enjoy hunting & fishing alone. Would enjoy the RIGHT partner probably. My son is 9, so if I can get him interested I will really enjoy fishing with him.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."