The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 07:26 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Fish alone or with friends?

I was getting the shakes last night and took a run to the local lake. Used the fly rod this time! (Thanks to Dan as those little chartreuse hickey-doos really worked on the bluegill last night. Of course, it could be that it is that time of year when bluegill hit anything that moves.)

I got to thinking: I really, really like to go fishing. Alone. And if I never see anybody the entire day, that is even better.

Am I anti-social? I don't know...I don't think so.

As I was fishing last night, I recalled a time last year when I was on the same lake, with a friend, as we were just lobbing our baitcasters for a few hours one evening. Once the sun started to go down, there were billions of mayflies all around us. He was freaking out because of all the "mosquitoes" and I told him to look closely: you could see the bent-up rear-ends and the two "whatever they are" protruding out the back. Then I said to watch the fish and they were all over the place sucking them up off the water. Immediately, nobody around us were getting any hits. To make matters worse, the bats were starting to come out and and he was freaking. Then came the part that really irritated me: he brings out an air horn and was blasting it to scare off the bats.

Needless to say, I don't go out with him much anymore.

But that got me to thinking: Why do I fish?

I have been with guys that talk smack and it drives me nuts. Then there are guys who just want to be social and they think they need to talk the entire freaking time. And you have guys who have more equipment than you could ever afford and you have to wait for them to get it all together.

But it seems that everybody, that I know at least, all think when you are fishing that you need to catch fish. And I don't mean being out there for a few hours and finally getting one on the last cats of the day; I mean they want to catch fish almost on every cast. It drives me insane because, whenever it is "one of those days" and the fish have your number, they moan and groan and whine and thoroughly act like a six-year-old kid because they are bored.

That is why I think I go out alone. I don't really care if I catch fish. Like last night, I was watching a forlorn Canada goose just swimming a little, walking on the bank eating or just standing there, and eventually getting back in the water. It has been in the same spot now for three years. It must have lost its mate. It is there in the winter and in the summer. I felt for the old boy.

I found myself just standing there several times just looking at the trees and the sky. Then the mayflies came out--and I remembered Ric--and it was neat just watching them fly around and I was just looking at them hover in front of my nose. I vowed that NOW I would force myself to learn how to tie mayflies...I figure spent ones first then the real McCoy...

Watching the fly I was using as I pulled it through the water was also interesting as was watching the bluegills come over and attack it. I did notice a lot of them just lunged for it and backed off--very few actually attempted to eat it.

All of a sudden, it was dark...and I had been on the water for about 2.5 hours...and it seemed like ten minutes.

There was no waiting to gather together somebody's ****. I didn't have to listen to how the biggest <fish> you ever saw got away nor did I need to listen to whining or air horns. I was never asked, "Why are you just standing there?" or "Are you ready to go home yet?" I got to stay exactly as long as I wanted.

I think I like to fish alone.
von behr, willki, alexs and 2 others like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Fish alone or with friends?

Not going to make a long reply, as it would seem oddly disrespectful considering the topic of your post, but simply wanted to say...I couldn't agree more.
loveforthedryfly likes this.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Fishing with friends is fun, but can also be frustrating for various reasons. My preference is to fish alone, so serene, time for thought and reflection, nothing better.
If I want to spend time in competition with friends, there is always Golf
Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Alone.

I enjoy fishing with my grandson. Other than that, alone.
My doctor doesn't approve of my hiking off into the mountains alone, but I'll take my chances.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Being alone give one time to reflect on how great life really is.
cattech89 and waterfordcreek like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 AM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

I do both. It seems I like to do most of my fly fishing by myself; if my buddies want to go fishing we generally hit a lake with our spinning gear. But I definitely guard my alone time cause I think that is half the reason I fish.
willki likes this.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
If I want to spend time in competition with friends, there is always Golf
GOLF?!?! Are you crazy?!? This is me if I play golf:

Golf is one of the two stupidest sports ever invented, with bowling being the other one. No defense. As you are making your shot, I can't defend it. It's only half a sport.

And since I, um, STINK at golf, I quickly become that idiot who is moaning and groaning and whining and swearing and you name it.

I am sticking with fishing. Sticking with going out by myself and being able to reflect. over any day!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I much prefer to fish with others. Especially family.

Fishing is a time of self gratification but I do love to share the experience of a friend or family members fish with them. Its fun and rewarding for me to see others I love have success. I love teaching what I know about nature and the water and those that dwell beneath its surface.

I must say, I rarely fish alone anymore...Only when traveling on business without my better half.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Business Member

South Holston will become famous soon enough

I've had 3 good fishing partners over the years. But now fishing alone is just fine. It is very seldom you find someone who likes to do things the way you do.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I fish with some friends and family but alone is good and some of the best fishing is when i have been alone.